Lining a Cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to get my central heating system replaced, which will free up a cupboard in the kitchen as the hot water tanks will be removed. At the moment, the cupboard is not lined in any way, and the back of it is just the stone from the exterior wall (Victorian sandstone house), with a little bit of plaster left on (I assume it wasn't always used like this).

The floor is a raised wooden one so that bit is ok.

I'd like to turn it into a useable cupboard, but don't know how best to go about converting it.

My thoughts would be:

1. Build wooden frame (should the wood be treated first?)
2. Attach plasterboard to frame (which type? I know you can get foil backed etc)
3. Paint or lining paper it.
4. Done

Is that correct or should I approach this from a different angle?

Sponsored Links
you've pretty much got it covered, though i would add some insulation and vapour barrier into the mix. ;)

Thanks Noseall, how much of a gap should I leave between the wall and the frame/plasterboard?

Should I treat the wood with anything and should I get the foilbacked plasterboard?

use tanalised timber if you wish but definitely use foil-backed (duplex) boards.

Sponsored Links
You might also want to tape any joints in the plasterboard just to finish the job off ready for painting,even though it's only a cupboard.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back