Low e glass on the wrong side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder put all the glass for a French door set the wrong way round. I don't have a special test unit, but shining a very bright spotlight obliquely against the glass shows that the Low e side is on the outer pane. I understand it should be on the inner face pane. I understand the inner face of the low e glass has a milky look.
I had a big problem with this builder and cannot ask him back to correct. What are my options? The units were silicones in.
Is this a job for a good joiner or a glazier?
Do it make a big difference to the heat loss? Is it worth it to have it fixed?

Sponsored Links
Yes wood.
I googled this issue and it seems it doesn't affect the u value so much as the solar gain factor.

Just wondering if it's worth it having then refitted.....

Sponsored Links
You are fretting over nowt.

All the energy efficient qualities of glass, when combined together do make a small difference.

However, it is not life changing.

You could have all the energy efficient glass in the world, but a poorly fitted frame, i.e. poorly sealed etc, will counter any of the bonuses of the glazing and then some.

I'm pretty sure my window suppliers said it doesn't make a great deal of difference which side it is on so long as they are both the same.

BTW this is a kitchen, so condensation could build up quicker on the units like this.

to be honest you are talking a fraction off one percent here
so the difference in general will be nill

if we assume its say 0.25% difference this is only off the percentage off heat loss through the glass so if the actual % lost through the windows is say 15% its now 1/6th the total so if your total heating bill is £10 a day the windows will =1/6th or £1.60p 0.25% will =0.004p a day will be about 1p every 16 weeks:cool:

Should make no difference, when we have a leaded sealed unit going into plastic frames the lead generally goes on the clear side, this then has to be glazed as the outer pane so you can see the lead. No difference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back