Low Energy Lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure whether this should go under General Discussion but let's see.
There is an obvious advantage to CFL's but I find the illumination colour dreadful. I know there are types of CFL marketed in temperature rated colours but generally the domestic units are the Cold/Blue/Hard tones of fluorescent lights.
So Why can't the manufacturer's produce tones similar to that of the Incandescent lights where warm tones are emitted.
I understand the Physics of fluorescents and the energy levels involved in the fall of electrons to lower shells and Photon emission and the Fluorescent action of the inner surface of the lamp, and as such the light Colour is pre-determined by the gas used in the device, but surely the colour of the glass of which the lamp is made can make the colour that much warmer for domestic use. Or is there a problem that I don't understand here?

Sponsored Links
philips do some in attractive warm colours

i think they are branded soft tones

I also got some large globes "Memolux" which are nice

they are not as cheap as Tesco Value brand of course

philips do some in attractive warm colours

i think they are branded soft tones

I also got some large globes "Memolux" which are nice

they are not as cheap as Tesco Value brand of course

Hey Thanks JohnD.
I wasn't aware of that. I will follow it up ASAP

Sponsored Links
Actually I quite like 2700K CFLs - put them in luminaires with opaque glass, or in wall-washers/uplighters and they are fine.

the Memolux globes are 2700K, and warmer than some of the others. I got a box of them from TLC last year.

the Memolux globes are 2700K, and warmer than some of the others. I got a box of them from TLC last year.

Hi John
Those Memolux lamps 'look' good.
How did you find the comparison with incacdescents for 'Warm' illuminationm?

I can only find Megaman on TLC, and they don't seem to refer to Light Temperature.
I was redirected to a company called BLC (maybe a branch of TLC) but again they seemed to deal with Philips but in this case they do refer to Temperatures of 2700K.
Any further Advice?

2700K is good colour

I also have some Philips large globes, though these are older (the Memolux ones are 24W with 1320 lumens and a bit brighter.)

The previous importers no longer handle them (no connection to MEM company)

in fittings where the lamp isnt visible i have used some colour temp correction gels from Rosco, can change flourecent to tungsten colour temp, halogen or about anything you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back