Low Energy PL Downlights into insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at putting some 18W PL downlights into a kitchen that is 7x3 meters. Above the ceiling is a loft with insulation.

1) What precautions are needed with the insulation? The same as for incandescent lamps or can it be layed over them?

2) Any idea how many would properly illuminate the kitchen (rectangle shape, no shelves or wall cabinets).

Ta

Sponsored Links
Although the fittings will not give off as much heat as halogens or GLS, they still will need air around them to allow the electronics to operate without overheating. Manufacturers instructions should be adhered to.
What are you doing about the prevention of moist air entering the loft space and condensing on the structural woodwork ?

As for the design it is up to you but it will depend on the colour and natural light amongst other things.

at moment I'm just looking into how to go about it. I've seen a couple of places recommending flowerpots (not plastic) to house the lights, which I like the idea of. Read somewhere that this was accepted by an inspector.

As for preventing condensation...........Still looking into how to best achieve that!!!

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back