Low Flame on boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a fairly newly installed Valliant Ecotec Plus 637 (fitted in the Spring) feeding an Ideal cylinder, and recently started using the heating for the first time.

When I turn the CH on the flame indicator starts near the top of the range for a couple of seconds but then settles down to the very low level shown in the picture, and the radiators are taking ages to heat up (which is also not helping my attempts to balance the system).

Can I (and should I) turn the flame up?

Cheers for any help,
Bertles

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 175
Sponsored Links
It’s quite possibly just modulating down, especially if you have Vaillant ebus controls fitted.

Do you know if the installer setup hot-water priority? A call for HW should fire the burner at full kWH rating and the flow temp should be 70°C+ to reduce chance of bacteria growth in the cylinder.

HW being fed using a Y-plan or S-plan design with the boiler range-rated down for CH isn't good.

>and the radiators are taking ages to heat up<

Is that only when you want HW or generally? If the former, suggests that heating water in cylinder is drawing most of the heat from the circulating water.

Thanks for the replies.

It’s quite possibly just modulating down, especially if you have Vaillant ebus controls fitted.
I have a Salus wireless thermostat - don't think I have any Valliant controls elsewhere unless they're hidden away somewhere.

Do you know if the installer setup hot-water priority? A call for HW should fire the burner at full kWH rating and the flow temp should be 70°C+ to reduce chance of bacteria growth in the cylinder.

HW being fed using a Y-plan or S-plan design with the boiler range-rated down for CH isn't good.

>and the radiators are taking ages to heat up<

Is that only when you want HW or generally? If the former, suggests that heating water in cylinder is drawing most of the heat from the circulating water.
No idea on the hot water priority unfortunately. I did turn the HW on and drain some of the tank and the flame was at the same level as before, and the temp was reading 50c although there's not a huge amount of info on the display so I don't know what that was actually referring to. The rads take a long time to heat up regardless of the HW.

I'm far more used to having combis in previous houses so there's a LOT I don't understand about a setup with a cylinder (as is probably clear!)

Feels like might be time to get someone round to have a look

Sponsored Links
Depends how long your giving it. They fire around 60-70% then drop down to minimum, then depending on temperatures, can take anything up to 5 or 6 minutes before going to their running rate, this running rate will depend on how the installer set it up, if it was left on auto then it will think its a small system as its only had a hot water coil to deal with all summer. It could be that just needs changed off of auto and set to a higher output.

If you look in the manual under installer level/Diagnostic codes, this is code D.00 partial heating load (Range Rating) If your not comfortable with it then call installer back and get them to set it up.

The flow temp on the front is set to 62c.

Thanks ScottishGasMan for the info on diagnostic codes, I'll have a look.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back