Low inlet gas pressure - Worcester Greenstar 42CDI bolier

gas4you said:
Sorry to be boring and go back to OP :LOL: but asked NG engineer about this today when I called them out to replace a J88 and he said that in theory you need 18mb at the inlet of the meter

Fair point but if I took a working pressure of less than 19mbar at meter I would definitely be suspicious.

and that you 'could' lose another 4mbar across the meter, so that is where they get the 14mbar WP from at the minimum.

Apparently,this is now the case. God/ChrisRse, has kindly bestowed this new wisdom, ( only after being told on his acs course) upon us. :rolleyes:

He also stated that he carrys some kit to check the service pressure up to the meter,

`Some kit` :?: couldn`t he state what exactly this `some kit` was? Apparently you have never used it. I wonder how many wonderboys who have recently jumped on this bandwagon have?
Maybe Softus will inform us :!:
Or Chris Rse :LOL:

Also stated that London area is the worst affected by this as they deliberately keep the service pressure low down there to help prevent leaks.

Don`t live/work there so have never came across this problem. ( bad engineer, naughty engineer ;)

Sponsored Links
I expect the 30mb reading was taken after the govenor at the normal test point. For some reason Transco engineers seem to love doing this, but all it proves is that there's something coming through the gas pipe! If he'd opened the ECV a bit slower it probably would have read about 26.

As everyone else has said, 14Mb at the meter, working pressure when the boiler's firing at full load, means that there's either insufficient supply to the meter in the first place, the govenor's faulty or the possibly meter's undersized. I doubt very much that the meter's undersized. Can you get a WP reading at the meter with the cooker on? If it's still reading 14 the problem's definitely the meter/govenor or pipework to the house.

My fault on what this kit was, I was running late and didn't think to ask him. I ask him next time. I usually have them out 3 or 4 times a week and this chap covers my main area of work.

He also stated that if NG disconnect a supply at the ECV and remove the meter they now have to fit a latex 'sleeve' over the existing incoming gas main where it is visible so no one could get a shock from it :eek: NG guys now have to have an electrical ticket as well to do this :eek:

gas4you said:
My fault on what this kit was, I was running late and didn't think to ask him. I ask him next time. I usually have them out 3 or 4 times a week and this chap covers my main area of work.

I`m not having a go at you. Merely asking if you consider yourself a competent engineer. Apparently as a domestic engineer you should be able to diagnose/ have the kit yourself. I`d be very careful before going any further, you may be in serious danger of agreeing with me & on this Forum, that`s a definite no-no. ;) ( If you could find the name of the kit & let me know then I may be able to investigate as to what capacity as an engineer would this be used ).

Sponsored Links
Heavens forbid bamber, I wouldn't want to be the first on this site to agree with you :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

Even if I had or new what this kit was I am not qualified/competent to ascertain any service or pressure problems the service side of the ECV. You knew that though didn't you you old tease :LOL:

gas4you said:
Heavens forbid bamber, I wouldn't want to be the first on this site to agree with you :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

Even if I had or new what this kit was I am not qualified/competent to ascertain any service or pressure problems the service side of the ECV. You knew that though didn't you you old tease :LOL:

I think you will find that this was my point entirely on this subject, however I have been branded an incompetent gas engineer ( painful) :cry:

When the rest of you Muppets come to the same realisation/nay wisdom as being put forward by Gas4you, I shall expect a reply please so this can finally be put to bed & I can be lifted aloft your shoulders & pronounced `` a really smart, witty & all round lovely bloke``.

I see one particular mouthpiece has recently logged on. Too gutless to admit being wrong. I think we can put this to bed now. Night ChrisR. ;)

Night Gasguru ;)
Night Bahco ;)
Night Balenza ;)

And so on......( special `up yours ` to Softus who is probably feeling soooooooo embarassed right now).:cool:

Bam bigarse poop said:
Apparently,this is now the case. God/ChrisRse, has kindly bestowed this new wisdom, ( only after being told on his acs course) upon us.

Yes, I have done the odd ACS course. Not being a gas engineer, you wouldn't be aware.

Don't worry though I won't call you an incompetent engineer.

Incompetent, yes; engineer, no.

Oh and if you want to test the WP before the regulator, just to prove to yourself that which is patently obvious to everyone else, you just buy the bits from BES. Somebody might help you if you ask nicely.

="ChrisR"]
Yes, I have done the odd ACS course. Not being a gas engineer, you wouldn't be aware.

Must have been very odd, can`t remember taking the test where we are asked to test the incoming mains pressure on the service side of the ECV.
What part is that :?:

Don't worry though I won't call you an incompetent engineer.
Incompetent, yes; engineer, no.

Back it up ;)

Oh and if you want to test the WP before the regulator, just to prove to yourself that which is patently obvious to everyone else,

I have repeatedly stated, why would I test the incoming mains before changing the regulator, changing the regulator is something WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO. It`s down to the SUPPLIER.
INCOMING GAS MAINS PRESSURE. DOWN TO THE SUPPLIER. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As an installer read what Gasright has already told you, you fool.

you just buy the bits from BES.

HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,. :LOL: :LOL: Wot bits are they then, why would I be ar*sed .I`m not qualified to do so. That`s why I have stated that my job ends at the regulator, you are just digging yourself deeper & deeper mate. Leave it & bow out disgracefully.

Somebody might help you if you ask nicely

Please leave it now, I`m starting to cringe for you.. :oops:

Bambergaspipe said:
I can be lifted aloft your shoulders & pronounced `` a really smart, witty & all round lovely bloke``.

So be it then, and on the seventh day Bamber created the world :eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

gas4you said:
So be it then, and on the seventh day Bamber created the world :eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thats not correct either!

On the Seventh day Bamber should have rested ( and given all of you a rest too! )

Tony

On the Seventh day Bamber should have rested ( and given all of you a rest too! )

Tony

Actually I created the world in 75 minutes, & yes I am GOD, except on Thursdays when I become Abraham Lincoln`s nephew, Bert, still waiting for the no marks to have the balls to admit that I was NOT wrong. I`ll have a long wait, their Ego`s are so battered they are all cowering & hope this one will go away. It won`t so long as I keep bringing it up, ( which I will on a weekly basis ) until my name & reputation as all round handsome, charming & unmissable postee, (when I can spare you my time) is restored. (Did I mention Modest) :?:

THY GOD (ME) as said, he who has ears let him hear ..............

Why all this fool hardy chat over something that can only be 1 0f 3 things causing this gas problem i.e mains , gov, pipesize, was it not writen in your training thy shalt test for all 3 but the mains test is tested with brains and can easily be diagnosed, a golden rule is to treat the problem as tho it where a patiant and you are the doctor.

BOB D.O.L.E said:
THY GOD (ME)
Why all this fool hardy chat over something that can only be 1 0f 3 things causing this gas problem i.e mains , gov, pipesize, was it not writen in your training thy shalt test for all 3.

I love you Bob because you are a mental & it`s my turn to be God because it`s the weekend, but how can you test the pipe size is incorrect when taking the working pressure of the appliance at the meter?
Surely to diagnose incorrect pipe sizing would be check the working pressure at the meter ( to satisfy the correct operation of the Regulator ) then to test it at the appliance, if it was low this would prove incorrect pipe sizing to the appliance. ( or blockage in pipework).

but the mains test is tested with brains and can easily be diagnosed,

It can only be the incoming mains if the regulator has been changed ( not our job) & the problem persists, unless you have some `bits` which you can buy from Poundstretcher, I think it was.

ChrisRse has got some. ;)

It`s not written in any acs assessment that you should test the incoming gas mains pressure because it simply isn`t part of our qualification as a domestic engineer. But I`ll still let you be God, only tonight though. ;)

sooey said:
A proper time served god would have done it in three. :!:

You may wish to explain your view on how I was discrediting the whole ACS system. (A post you made earlier on). Or have you changed your feeble mind on this one, seeing as this is now a different bandwagon ;) That is, taking it that you are actually a gas fitter & have actually sat your ACS assessments. :?: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back