Low pitch help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, first time poster.

Over the wet summer we've noticed leaking into the house. This is due to both: a) a ridge needing re-pointing [pic 1] and b) tiles incorrectly sat in a different location [pic 2]. I've had the tiles off to look into it and obviously need to re-felt and replace battens...

pic 1

192000_191659_49026_45498652_thumb.jpg

pic 2

192000_191659_49025_51946010_thumb.jpg

Part of the problem is that the felt is rotten over two courses (?) [pic 2]. Additionally, I've taken tiles off most of the way up the roof and seen old, rotten batten [pic 3], (indeed, snapped a batten in a different location taking these pics-was walking quite carefully too)

pic 3

192000_191659_49029_37536171_thumb.jpg

Close up of rotten rafter

pic 4

192000_191659_49028_28898777_thumb.jpg

pic 5

192000_191659_49027_36255590_thumb.jpg

My questions are:

1. The roof is low pitch 4/12 ish - (My measurements may be slightly off) are these the right tiles for the pitch? [pic 6]

pic 6

192000_191659_49032_72871637_thumb.jpg

2. I want to take all the tiles, battens and felt off and start again. I have approx 14 days off work to do this, so should have ample time. What clay tile can I/should I use? I think I have to replace the majority of these tiles as they don't sit well and some of them aren't the same as others.

3. What Underlay should I use? I've seen videos (mostly American) putting a plywood flooring down before felt. Should I do this?

4. Rotten Rafter [pic 5] is easily fixed. Going to cut away rotted wood and bolt two new rafters either side. This ok?

5. Would ideally like to use a curvy terracotta tile to replace. Anyone have the right product number etc?

Any help or links you can provide to doing this for a handy DIY-er would be appreciated. Getting a bloke in is not an option at the moment. I can afford materials but not labour. Happy spending twice the time a professional would doing this.

I am quite happy taking all tiles off, batten, felt and starting from the bottom to the ridge. any tips would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I can't help as such but the other houses in the area seem to have the same tile so a local supplier should be able to identify.

Are there any markings on that or any other tile to give a clue as to what it is?

I personally would avoid changing the tile since it would make the property look different to the rest and maybe make it harder to join in to next doors. Unless the design of the roof (and those around) is fundamentally flawed it's probably just poor maintenence that's caused this issue.

As for the Americans, they always tend to do things different don't they.

Most of the local houses have a more pronounced bend on the tile. Terracotta 80? I'll take a tile to the local roofing centre, they should help as there aren't any markings I've seen.

For fixing/shoring up the rotten rafter, I'm planning to cut away the rot, dropping a same size piece into the hole and bracing it with two rafters bolted either side. Is this ok?

After this, I'm going to cut away the rotted underlay to the nearest rafter and patch over/under before replacing the battens.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Not Possible, Mrs is adamant that she wants tile. Any recommendations for a tile suitable for this pitch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back