Dry verge - potential issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. This is my first post, so bear with me, please.

We've been building a house for a couple of years and it's coming to an end now. But we have a potential issue with the roof, particular the dry verge at the gable ends.

We have had to give up on our builder, as he's off sick for who knows how long (it's been a year...)

Here are some pics of the gable ends...
https://i.postimg.cc/ZYx9F4VL/PXL-20230801-083306932.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/4N4YWq0R/PXL-20230801-083302991.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/MZ7zkQYv/PXL_20230904_072429115.jpg

And from the side, you can see how little overhang there is.

The plan is/was to put wrap around metal fascia over the end rafter which also covers the tiles (as per the last pics).

Here's a pic of them having been started....

https://i.postimg.cc/85WNzJQX/PXL_20230904_072513792.jpg

However, someone who used to be a roofer - who was visiting the house - said there's a danger of water getting in under these, especially because we have flat tiles and especially where we have a dormer, here's a pic...

https://i.postimg.cc/Kj2FkGmG/PXL_20230904_072522885.jpg

He was concerned the end rafters will get wet/rotten over time.

I think my options are:
1) Remove 1 tile all the way along and slap on a type R dry verge. Fixed from above. I'd still use my wraparound fascia on top.
2) Try and slip some type R under the ends of the tiles, fix from the sides and trim if and where it encounters any screws through the tiles. Again, I'd still use the fascia.
3) Remove 2-3 tiles and batten (c.600mm) and extend the roof. This is beyond my skills. I have the spare tiles. Again, I'd use the fascia.
4) Add a batten to the side of the rafter and stick a dry verge on that. Again, then use the fascia.

The tiles are Marley/ concrete.

Anything else I should consider as a solution?

Is this actually worth worrying about?

Apologies if I've got any terms wrong here. I'm just a DIYer.

Sponsored Links
Hi. Not my area but it's worth seeking out a roofing company or architect and paying to get a specification.
If you think you can work it out yourself then great.

I think you're right. Feel out of my depth and don't want to risk getting it wrong with such a fundamental thing. Just thought I'd try on here first.

Get the type R verge and cut the bit off that goes up and over but leave enough for a channel? Then cover it with your metal fascia. Any water ingress will run off on to the R verge and down?

If it was mine I would remove the first tiles, put in cement board that overhangs and recut new tiles. Nice wet verge with black remix.

Sponsored Links
Flexim roof putty might work if you stick some to the edge of the tiles prior to putting on your ali fascia trims.

Last edited:
Hi all

Thought I'd update you. The Type R is a no-go, because the battens are fixed right at the ends and I don't want to be removing a load of them.

I have had a brainwave though...LeadAx, under the tile and on top of the battens. Then put the steel barge boards on top.

Here's a diagram (cross section) to and from:

house.jpg

The good thing here is I can bend it two ways, so I'll have a fully, but it can also be ridged to fit around the tiles. And the barge board will hold it in place (together from the fiction of the tiles). It won't be easy to fit, but there will be no issue with removing tiles.

Can anyone forsee anything I've not considered? I've already put some in place, as a practice.

From what I can see from the small bit of profile with all the cobwebs on it, it doesn't sit flush on the tiles? if that's the case then you could mastic soakers to the end of your tiles with say a 10mm upstand and then fit your trim over the top.

From what I can see from the small bit of profile with all the cobwebs on it, it doesn't sit flush on the tiles? if that's the case then you could mastic soakers to the end of your tiles with say a 10mm upstand and then fit your trim over the top.
That also looks like a good idea. Wasn't sure about using mastic and how long it would last before drying out and cracking. We'll be in this house 30-40 years (I hope!)

If you start at the bottom and jack the next tile up you will be able to stick a piece of lead soaker on the bottom tile with a small upstand, you could probably get away with a lead 420mm x 40mm and then fold a small upstand glue it all the way down the tile with a continuous bead of mastic.
I would slightly fold it back over the top of the tile just in case it try's to slide down while its setting.

Thanks for your continued suggestions. These are all good solutions. Going to have a play with some by doing a test bit off roof in the garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back