Low pitch roof tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a low pitch gable end extension that is 24 degrees

The tiles I have to use (Marley Hawkins Clay singles) have a min pitch of 30 degrees

How much tolerance is there for the min pitch or is going lower an absolute no no (i.e is 30 degree a worse case horizontal storm scenario)

I've looked into onduline sheets under the tiles but they make the roof a bit too high

Thinking of using two membranes and overlapping the second one so it also doubles up and then having a 90mm gauge but not sure if risking it

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
'have to use' ....??

You use what is suitable for the pitch or design an extension roof suitable for the tiles.

Why not use a plain look-alike Sandtoft or some such?

Its an old barn/conservation area so they want the same tiles as used on the main building.
I guess I am risking it if not at minimum pitch.

Just looked at the Sandtoft and also Duo thin flats at tippers and maybe an option as look similar if there is no chance of getting away with 24 degrees. Will go and take a look. Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Just looked at the Sandtoft and also Duo thin flats at tippers and maybe an option as look similar if there is no chance of getting away with 24 degrees. Will go and take a look. Thanks for the help
Don't try and risk plains on a low pitch. Use a similar looking alternative.

deck the roof out, counter batten it then torch on over the whole lot. then roof as normal any tile you want or have to.

Thanks all,

Yep the ridge has to sit under a window so all a bit tight.

Going looking at tiles tomorrow. Interlocking ones look the best solution if they look similar enough to what we have, plus they should be quicker and cheaper.

The new roof doesn't join the old so should be ok

Thanks

sandtoft 2020 look a bit like plain tiles and will do your pitch tuscan colour might work

Don't do it, it will leak, and it's just a question of how long until the underfelt rots away. Sandtoft 2020 can go down to 15 degrees with 100mm headlamp (in theory, but I wouldn't do it on my house!)

Thanks, another question

I'm going for interlocking and have seen these Duo Thin Flat or the Sandtoft 2020.

I need to do a wet verge to keep the style similar to the current gable end. Can I keep a wet verge with these tiles? I've only seen the Duos and the back seems to be a strange shape If I cut them down. Not seen the 2020 in person yet though.

Also will these tiles be able to breath or will I need a vented ridge. BC was happy with normal ridge as the clay tiles would allow air out through the gaps.

Another also, I guess these don't need any eaves tiles or similar?

Thanks again!

Yes you can have wet anything with both. Fwiw, I'd go 2020
The tiles dont breathe but the over fascia vents you are going to fit will work well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back