Low toilet water level when installed, fine when not

Before you get up ladders find the manholes and look in them

Sponsored Links
No problem - don`t rush out to get a drain clean done , have a jug of water to replenish the water seal after a flush :idea: . The guys here will talk you through and you`ll save £££££. You`re right about drainage doing strange things -

Vent at the top looks much smaller than the 4" vent pipe, maybe 3" or even 2" pipe. It's highly likely to be the stack pipe open vent, but exercise caution before throwing a bucket of water down it! If you're determined to do Spiderman impressions then push a length of dry hose down it first - which may hit a blockage and dislodge it, or not.

Check around the upstairs bog for signs of the 4" (110mm) pipe behind the toilet pan and in the roofspace, you may have easy access via a loft cupboard, and confirm it continues up, and where it reduces in diameter.
It may not continue up, terminating in an air admittance (or durgo) valve. If you find one of these flush the upstairs loo and listen for signs or it sucking air in.

You've had some good advice from others re inspecting the drains. Take a methodical approach and work safely. This means exhausting the ground floor options before rushing for the ladders.

Sponsored Links
Top advice from you all, I will check the drain tonight, and also look for the source of the vent pipe.

Cheers again,

BS...

If the toilet upstairs is connected to soil pipe that also connected to downstair one, why does it not affect upstair toilet when that toilet is flushed?

Did you check the soil pipe is cleared from downstair toilet to branch outside?

Can you take a photo of the pan, at side please? Wonder if all the soil pipe is cleared, could it be the pan itself?

Daniel.

If the top end is open (which it seems to be) then the upstairs shouldn't affect the downstairs, if there was a blockage after the point where downstairs connects, I would expect any pressure fluctuations venting through the open end of the stack, and not affect the WC's.

As it's only the downstairs affected I would suspect the issue lies between the WC and the junction into the vertical stack, although I would check the drains are flowing before doing anything more complicated first off! ;)

I think he must have fallen off his ladder... :?: :rolleyes:

Hahaha, really sorry for the delay in my response guys, I fell of my ladder. Just kidding. Been mega busy with the 4 million other things I'm trying to fix/renovate at the same time. I haven't lifted the manhole cover yet, as it's in next door's drive, and I haven't managed to catch him in. I have, however, been in the cupboard upstairs for our Christmas trees, and managed to take this video, which should answer a question or two that were asked earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpxlO0xAiNQ&index=1&list=UUyGLunBrmrMZ-99rm_4iATw

I'll be looking to speak to my neighbour and lift the manhole cover on Friday.

Cheers,

BS...

Good video.
I noticed what appears to be a damp stain on a roof member. Is it still wet and if so you need a bit of roof repair doing too. Probably the flashing where the vent pipe goes up through.

You should be running a sweepstake on where the blockage actually is

You should be running a sweepstake on where the blockage actually is

You're not wrong. I'm sure it's between the problem toilet and the branch outside. I need to go under the house soon anyway to do some electrics, so I'll check the pipe hasn't slipped off whatever was holding it up and created a dip, or anything strange like that.

Cheers,

BS...

SOLVED!!!

Went under the house the other day, and the soil pipe had dropped significantly. The clown shoe who'd installed it had knocked up a ghetto bracket to suspend the pipe from the joists using some scrap timber he had lying around, and 'spiked' them at 45 degrees to the joist, completely inadequately. It failed, and the toilet end of the pipe dropped by about 2 foot, only holding on by the flexi pipe.

So, I created a proper bracket using metal angles, and put the soil pipe back where it should be, and connected it all back up using a solid pan connector instead of the flexi, and it's all sweet.

Only problem now is there quite a lot of stinky 'water' under the house :(

Thanks for all of you advice guys, you've made my Wife very happy, and I thought that was an impossibility ;)

Cheers, and all the best for 2015,

BS...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back