low voltage ceiling lights - a quick check...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I've just moved into a house which is riddled with cheap 20W low voltage ceiling lights. One bank of five (in the kitchen) has now completely failed.

Before I indulge in a spot of post Christmas loft beam balancing, can I just check that everyone agrees a blown transformer to be the likely problem...?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If they all failed together, and there is voltage at the switch, its likely to be transformer failure or a loose connection near the transformer.

Unfortunately the best way to find out is to get in the space above it!

Hi there. I've just moved into a house which is riddled with cheap 20W low voltage ceiling lights. One bank of five (in the kitchen) has now completely failed.
can I just check that everyone agrees a blown transformer to be the likely problem...
You will need to do some investigation, you cannot expect a diagnosis of your fault when it is impossible to say, as we are remote of your problem.

By low voltage! can I assume you mean extra low voltage (12V in your case) lamps?
Firstly you must confirm this, then check for voltage at the 230V primary side of the transformer(s), using an approved voltage indicator.
If voltage is there and continuity can be found at all the connection at the secondary side(isolate before testing for that). Then the likely problem is the transformers.
If there is no voltage at primary side, you would then be looking for continuity of the conductors at the supply side.

If it's 230V, without transformers then again you would need to test for voltage and continuity.
Also check for fused connections(switch has not been opened and/or fuse blown)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back