Low Voltage Dawn - Dusk Lighting Sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anybody give me some advice as I didn't think this through before I started.

Basically, I have built a pond and now want to light it. I decided to use Low Voltage Lighting with the AC Power Source (plug) in a weatherproof box.

I bought some LV lights which have an IP44 transformer but no Light sensor. So if I don't want them on all the time, I have to go out and switch them off.

So I am looking around for LV light sensor. I find a product manufactired by TECHMAR which fits the bill, except that the suppliers says it can only be conected to other TECHMAR products which my LV lights are not.

Does anybody know of a solution to retro fit a light sensor into a low voltage system that can be effected across different product ranges.

There is also a LUXFORM Plug and Play system but I do not know if this is compatible with other LV products.

The connection to my LV transformer is through a two pin plug which is pushed into the transformer and held on by a screw cap.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Why can't you switch the transformer with a normal light sensor?

I didn't think of doing that.

Most light sensors have just two wires to the light (L and N but no earth) and I didn't know if it would be acceptable to sen the poaer to the transformer without an earth.

I have a Steinel NightMatic 3000 I could use if I didn't need an earth to the transformer.

IMost light sensors have just two wires to the light (L and N but no earth) and I didn't know if it would be acceptable to sen the poaer to the transformer without an earth.
You NEVER switch the earth anyway, which is why you'll NEVER find a switch, be it manual, PIR, timer, photo etc, with anything other than a parking terminal for the earth.

If yours doesn't have one then just join the earth conductors.

I have a Steinel NightMatic 3000
Oh look:

t297004.jpg

FFS.

I really don't think you are cut out for electrical work.

Sponsored Links
Of course I am not cut out for electrical work, that is why I asked the question.

At least I had the forethought to question what happened to the earth lead before I did anything.

Anyway thanks for clarifying things for me.

Please think about this:

1) You had an accessory with an earth terminal.

2) You had an instruction book with a diagram showing the earth terminal and words telling you what to put in it.

3) You didn't know what to do.

I take you point - which is valid. But put it in context.

1. My original question was about a Low Voltage (two wire) Light Sensor.

2. I mentioned I had a240V Sensor but was concerned about the earth. To me the instruction was to connect the sensor to a light fitting, rather than an LV transformer. I needed that clarification.

3. I hadn't done anything because I was unsure and needed some clarification.

Result.........No harm done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back