Low Voltage Garden Light Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have about 250 watts in assorted light fixtures on a 300 watt transformer. All the lights are lit fine with the exception of the 3 uplights I have mixed in. They are lit but are very dim. Each are only 10 watts. The last 3 post lights in the string are fully lit.

Sponsored Links
You probably have too much volt drop to the lights you have added in.

You will need to use much much thicker cable or use an extra transformer(s) nearer to the new lights.

It may be possible that you have wired them up wrong.

The up lights in question were working fine until I added a few more post lights to the end of the string so I dont think they are wired wrong. Whats got me puzzled is thet the last 3 post lights I added, which are a higher voltage then the up lights, are lit just fine. Same goes for the post lights I have scattered around the string.

Sponsored Links
I have 10 post lights at 12 volts ea. 3 uplights at 10 volts ea. and 8 deck lights at 10 volts. ea. 230 volts total. The transformer is 300.

All the same voltage lights?

And when you add the total wattage of the light, its less than the maximum transformer wattage output.
So double check your wiring, that all lights are connected the same. The dim lights may well be connected through each other (in series)

Back