Low voltage lighting / Toroidal Transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to put in four 50w lights on a twin wire suspended cable system, and have been advised by a lighting supplier that as I wish to use 6.5m spans I will need 2 x 300w Toroidal Transformers. This seems a bit over the top as Ikea sell a set to cover 9m with a single transformer?

Can anyone advise me if I do in fact need two transformers? If so what is the reason and how do I connect them do I connect them in parallel and do they have to be alternate ends?

Is there any maximum cable length from the transformer to the lighting feed cables.

Can I use the same cable as I am using for the spans to feed them or does this cable have to be a larger diameter?

I was looking to use a 6mm cable for the spans!

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks

KB

Sponsored Links
No mention of lamp wattage? Ikea could be 20w, your supplier may be looking at 50w. Huge difference. It is always worth speccing for 50w, as some sucker is bound to exchange the lamps for the incorrect ones at some point.

I am busy now, and cannot calc to see if the distance is an issue. The distance is mainly a concern with volt drop. 50w lamps will drop more volts than 20w ones will over a given length. The supplier is likely telling you to run two 3m sections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back