Lower ceiling 1 (duplicates merged)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lower my first floor ceiling to get extra height in the loft but how would I suitably tie the new floor to the roof structure to prevent the roof spreading.

Sponsored Links
Why do you need extra height? what is the current height in both areas?

It’s not just a matter of lowering a ceiling though I doubt you have enough ceiling height to lower unless your in a house with 10ft + ceilings.

Sponsored Links
It is feasible, but messy.

In principle, you tie the existing rafters back to the new (lowered) floor joists with suitably-angled pieces of timber, such as 200mm wide strips of 18mm ply.

You may also need to form bulkheads around the tops of the first floor windows if your new floor is to be below the tops.

It depends on the type of roof structure. You have given far too little information for anyone to even make a guess. A few photos from inside the loft space might help here

The joists prevent the rafters collapsing like a house of cards (rafters moving outwards)
This needs structural calculation and a lot of detail of construction of your roof as is.
Yes it can be done - but likely to be a lot of work .... consider other options ..... office as an outbuilding in the garden ?

I have done this job once on a terraced house with a purlin roof. Because the roof purlins already carry much of the weight of the roof spreading isn't an issue, but getting structural steels in to carry the joists was heavy work and cutting down walls, etc was a very, very messy job. Never again!

Do you have any example pictures of this done. Just wanted to see what it would look like.

I've got a few pics of houses that fell down after it was done

Will see if I can find them.

I don't think sully has a good track record of responding ....

It's all hearsay anyway unless they have the ceiling room to lose beneath the loft.

Here we are

If you cut out those joists, your house will fall down. The roof will push the walls apart.

like this

https://metro.co.uk/2016/06/08/dram...se-660000-collapse-during-renovation-5932499/

Observe the work done by the "builders" prior to the collapse:

350F01C900000578-3631346-The_house_was_sold_in_January_and_has_been_under_development_sin-a-56_1465398584116.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back