Lower door frame height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
I bought a tenement flat that had original doors replaced by horrendous plain doors (ex-HMO). I want to put back nice victorian looking doors (I don't care if they are original or not), but the problem is that all the doors are non-standard size (too high). Is there any easy way to lower the frames to fit standard size doors, without losing the nice look they have? I been looking in google for ages, and I don't see anything like that, sadly.
Any counsel?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Its much easier to find (they are out there) & use a non-standard size door than to start lowering the head of the linings & frames.
What dimensions are you looking for? What style?
Door blanks can be made up to look like panelled doors etc. by sticking mouldings and raised panels on them.
But its curious that you want an authentic look while attempting to change the original, authentic height?

Hi Vinn,
My idea is to change the height of the inner door frame and leave the original size with the door moulding and all. Sadly restoring a tenement flat is very expensive, and I do the best I can within my budget. Made to measure doors are ridiculous expensive (And mind you, I have to change ALL doors in the flat, not a single one with the same size as other), so I have to be creative...
The dimensions are around 2.13mt H (more or less, some of them are higher than others), 90/80 cms W (varying from 90 to 80...) victorian style.
I been mailing, calling and visiting salvage yards, keeping an eye in gumtree, calling joiners, and no luck. Not a SINGLE door so far!

You can panel over a new lining head (almost a transom) using a blank panel where a fanlight would go.
The blank panel could be picked out with a little stuck moulding.

Sponsored Links
The problem is that I have lo lower the head just 10cm approx. in each door.

If the standard door is only 10 cm too short, just add on 4" to the bottom of the door and conceal the extra height and join with a (nice brass) kick plate.

Or make your own doors using a softwood frame, hardboard facings and some squirty foam infilling. Stick on mouldings for a faux victorian appearance, and replace with better when funds allow.

Far better than cutting original mouldings which may be irreplaceable.

That could be a VERY doable option indeed, Owain!
Anyway, my original idea was not to cut original mouldings (no way!!), but to add something to the inner frame (inside the door frame) to lower the height. The thing is, I don't know how would it look.

Thank you!

add something to the inner frame (inside the door frame) to lower the height. The thing is, I don't know how would it look.

Like it was a naff refurb done in the 1970s, probably. If it was larger (12" or more) you could do it as a fanlight/feature panel, but 4" will just be uninspiring.

Glad you're not cutting the original mouldings though.

I would love to see a photo of these doorways...might prompt some other bright ideas?
A door of that height would originally have been a six panel, 1 3/4 inch. Must be a fairly grand tenement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back