Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently had my raised front garden taken out so I can make extra car parking space in the front garden. The inspection chamber (see photos) was originally 3 or 4 brick courses high, the biscuit was removed and the courses removed. The biscuit was replaced and is now as low as it can go, but I need it a bit lower.

I'd like to know if I can remove the biscuit completely and use a recessed frame and cover mounted directly on the brick course (assuming I can find a similar size)

I'm planning on a block paved drive and would ideally like to reduce the gradient by reducing the height of the current cover, even by just a few inches. I asked my landscaper if he had any ideas and he wasn't sure.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

regards

IMG_5680_zpsiurbdjmf.jpg

IMG_5675_zps9vg4owoe.jpg
IMG_5678_zpsmjmigepi.jpg

IMG_5676_zpsg41gtvre.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is it just a change of direction? You could rip the lot out and fit a small plastic chamber at that depth.

Otherwise you can go straight into the bricks. If it’s too big for a 640x450 you remove the walls and benching and build it smaller.

Hi Ian
Thanks for your advice, no change of direction, I dont want to touch the chamber. Just want to get rid of the biscuit and metal frame which is around 7" above the bricks, and replace it with a metal frame and recessed lid so it's maybe 4" above the bricks. Then my block paving will not have to rise so sharply.

So you think t would be okay to run abother course of bricks nside the perimeter of the existing bricks to make the hole smaller and therefore us s standard size tray and frame?

Regards

Rob

If your not parking on it. Otherwise you would have to remove the benching and build a new wall off a concrete base.

All very easy compared to what you have done so far.

Sponsored Links
Yes, get some checker plate for the bridge or use the original cast cover and frame laid the other way.
You can butt the recess frame upto it or on it partially as you will be setting in mortar.
Ps you dont need full access at that depth to clean so you could get away with 450mm no problem

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back