Lowered cellar floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone
I hope you guys can help me

I am in the process of buying a two bed terrace in Northampton with a cellar (FTB and on my own :eek: )

The cellar was renovated just over 6 months ago. The old floor was dug out and replaced with a new concrete floor, this included waterproofing etc.
They have created extra head space, I'd guess at maybe 1.5ft.

My question is, how near to the footings is it ok to dig?
I had a full structural survey done but they didn't mention anything about the cellar floor being lowered and replaced.

I don't think they dug as far as the footings. Guessing, I think the footings may be 1 metre deep and they may have dug 2 foot and then filled with a new floor of a few inches.
I'll get the exact details in a few days.
House is 1900-1920

Thank you so much for trying to answer my question despite lack of info provided :)

Sponsored Links
You said you got a full structural survey, I would have expected this to be a key part of that survey so assuming this was a proper structural survey and not a basic survey or homebuyers report or suchlike you either need to get them back in to comment on this aspect, or get a refund.

Did they get Building Regs approval for the works? Or if not did they get any structural engineering input? If it had been 6 years I would say probably not to worry but 6 months is not long enough to show any defects that may occur because of the works. I would find this out before anything else or you go any further with the sale.

Do not phone the council to ask them and ensure your solicitor does not do the same, as that will make getting an indemnity insurance impossible should one be required. Either phone up the agent and ask the agent to ask the seller or get your solicitor to ask them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back