Lowering a concrete floor. How?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- I am converting an integral garage to 'habitable' but half of the concrete floor is too high if I add insulation as per building control (7.5cm Celotex and floorbords at 1.5cm) due t0 its typical 1930's slope. The excess height is about 3cm, over about 3x2m. I need to avoid a step or slope which my grandmother will trip on. Can I 'shave' off 3cm or so of concrete in any way? I don't want to dig the whole thing up, and I have to keep my grandmother. Could I for instance angle-grind down 3cm or so in parallel lines and chisel out the remaining raised blocks? Tedious I know, but digging out would be awful. Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I agree, keep the grandmother. Good advice there Randie!

Your grinder plan would work, and an sds with rotostop will make the chiselling easier too.

If you haven't filled the door in yet, you could go to the hire shop and see what they have. A floor saw or concrete planer will make the job easier and quicker.
Failing that a petrol stihl saw with hose attached will keep the mess down.

is there not a hightec thinner material you can use for the thinner end!!!
save all that digging :cool:

Sponsored Links
big-all, noseall- thanks. This was my very first, and easiest route, which went nowhere unfortunately. After 1 day on the internet (sad I know), I concluded that there was no such thin insulator that would make the building control guy smile happily. If someone does know of insulation at less than 75mm that would meet building control, then I will pay whatever it costs! Gold sheet?

you have asked the bc for other ideas that may satisfy him havent you !!! :D

Hi big-all- to be honest, this is my first project where I have involved BC, so I'm trying to work everything out, so when the plans are submitted, the out of control officer won't chuck them straight back.
Can you please advise me- are you saying I can submit a rough guide and then the orificer will turn up and say how it could all be done within reason? Or can I also contact him in advance before submitting anything for advice??? As ever, any more help very gratefully received as I'm new to all this!

you phone up and just ask for suggestion from whoever you get a hold off

and iff its not your man/woman that gives you the advice ask to speak to him get his ideas and run his colleges idea past him as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back