Lowering Bathroom Ceiling. How?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lower my bathroom ceiling by 200mm so we can get some downlighters installed and also to hide the mouldy artex that currently exists.

In a normal room I would attach a square wooden frame around the room screwed into the walls at the height I require.

Unfortunately our house is of an age where the roof comes into the upstairs rooms so two of the walls are sloping. Also there is a roof truss that goes from one corner into the middle of the room that needs to be taken into account.

First to combat the mould, I have a new bathroom Fan to go into the wall that is going to be fitted.
Also going to give the artex a good clean with bleach

I have bought a pile of 25x50mm and 50x50mm timber which I was hoping to again make a frame which is screwed to the non-sloping walls but I am unsure how to handle the sloping bits and the truss??

Any ideas or names of useful devices I can use?

Thanks, Mark

Sponsored Links
I'll try and get some photos tonight.

I have very quickly (and badly) create a 3D image of the room.
Its 1.7x1.7m and the height ranges from 2.1m to 2.6 and i want to drop the ceiling to 2.4m. The red line on the picture shows my intended new ceiling.

Note that the actual ceiling would meet the truss further down towards the corner of the room and not completely obscure the truss as the picture suggests.

Does this help?

View media item 1339

Sponsored Links
the sloping bits or the ceiling 'rake' is a particularly vulnerable and much overlooked cold spot in any upstairs room, where a raked ceiling is present.

this needs 100mm of celotex between rafters with a 25mm underdraw in order to prevent the dreaded cold spot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back