lowering garage ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the early stages of converting my garage. The existing ceiling height is way to high, so I need to lower it by about 500mm. How would I go about this?

Sponsored Links
in what manner do you want to lower it

plasterboard ceiling or suspended ceiling as the why you do it depends on what material you wanting to do it in

Steve

I'm putting the ceiling back as a conventional plasterboard ceiling Steve. I concidered a suspended one, but I think the effect would be like an office, rather than the lounge that I'm planning.

Well if i was doing it if it was for myself i would use Joist hangers screwed to the wall then something like 100 x 50 timbers to span across your garage.

assuming your qite green about doing such things so make sure you space the timbers when doing the job @ 1220 centers all the way down the garage make sure you do this with care or you will miss the edges of the boards.

dont forget to put noggins in so that it all edges of boards are supported by timbers and well fixed.

Dont forget also to order feather edged boards of the ceiling will crack if square edged boards are used spoiling the whole ceiling.

Hope that all is clear but if not give us another shout

Sponsored Links
Could do it all in 2x2, using lengths as hangers from the ceiling above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back