lowering height of original brick arch support?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am looking to remove a sash window and replace it with french doors, on a flank supporting double brick wall. The doors will be custom made to fit into the existing opening ( i.e the width or height will not be altered), and the only alternation will be removing 4 courses of brick below the existing sill. The plan is not to tamper with the exisiting brick arch, but to fit a lintel below and infill. Can anyone suggest if this procedure sounds adequate and whether a catnic would suffice? All thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why do you need to remove the brick arch - it would be simpler to put an infill panel between the head of the door and the brick arch, or you could design the whole install (door and infill) as one unit - for example you could put a leaded light in the top section?

Regards

alittlerespect,
I think that you have misread his post. He wants to leave the arch in place and install a lintel and build a brick tympanum so that the arch becomes a relieving arch for the lintel.

In fairness, he's not said what gap he wants between the head of his door and the U/S of the brick arch, 50mm, 200mm, 500mm, who knows!

Apologies for delay in reponding....my broadband died a death this weekend!

The gap between the door head and u/s arch is 300mm. Have been thinking about 'options' over the weekend, and then reading your posts...think that doors + fanlight panel would work well in the space.

Therefore presumably if I remove the original sash + leave existing arch support in place + remove required number of brick courses to bring to internal floor level + timber frame for doors and fanlight panel that should suffice.

Would I be right in thinking that as long as the existing brick arch is stable and secure and undisturbed during the conversion work, I should not worry about including any futher support?

Thanks for all your input in this, have to admit that this is the first project of this kind I have taken on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back