Lowering the ceiling height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Part of newly build extension, faced with this dilemma:
We are removing external loadbearing wall and naturally putting a beam across. For new ceiling we have two options, either we box the beam and keep the ceiling height same or lower the ceiling level and have straight ceiling across the exiting area and the new extension. Lowering the ceiling will bring the height down to approx. 2.5 meters.
Unsure what would be advantage/disadvantage of the above so appreciate your input!
cheers

Sponsored Links
Aside from the cost of installing a false ceiling, it's an aesthetic issue and only you can decide whether or not you can live with a downstand beam.

Aside from the cost of installing a false ceiling, it's an aesthetic issue and only you can decide whether or not you can live with a downstand beam.

Spot on Tony, yep we are faced with aesthetic issue and i guess we could not be the first or last to go through this, hence the reason for the post to hear from others what they choose and why?
cheers

Agree with Tony, your choice. Cheapest way is dropped beam with Expamet Arch Former each end to give it a bit of character..
Regards oldun

Sponsored Links
Agree with Tony, your choice. Cheapest way is dropped beam with Expamet Arch Former each end to give it a bit of character..
Regards oldun
Hmm character! And some ducks on the wall too and why not add a bit of Artex whilst you're at it! :p

Good idea that Freddy. You could also have Flanagan and Allen round, though suspect they were a bit before your time. Are you still leaning out your window to see into your neighbours hot tub?:rolleyes: :D
Regards oldun

Leaving humour aside, the message I am getting that its best to lower the ceiling, giving ceiling a consistent look?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back