LPG hose replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hose going to the cooker on my boat is showing signs of deterioration, and I'm going to replace it.

I want to understand the markings on the hose so that I'm sure to be replacing "Like for like"

The markings on the present hose are -

EG / BS3212 : 1991 / 1 / 8MM / LOW PRESSURE LPG / 10 / 2005

"BS 3212 : 1991", "8MM", "LOW PRESSURE LPG" I can understand, but what does "EG", "1", "10" and "2005" refer to?

Is 2005 the date of manufacture, or the date it should be replaced?

TIA
Jim

Sponsored Links
look for a hose that says "you must be registered and competant to fit me or we will sink and die"

Hose changing should be done by a registered competent person every 5 years 2005 was the date of manufacture so replacement was due in 2010 if your LPG installation was being serviced annualy as per GSUR the engineer should have changed these hoses on time - the only job a non competent can do is exchange a gas bottle ;)

There is no requirement to have annual inspections, nor is it illegal to replace hoses myself on my boat, thank goodness. Unless I want to go sailing on canals operated by British Waterways, in which case it must be inspected to ensure it complies with the BSS. I can still do the work myself, though.

Unfortunately, I've had 2 seperate "Incidents" in the gas system in my house associated with works carried out by so-called corgi registered "competant persons". I'm not saying all corgi, or whetever they're called these days, fitters are incompetant, but you'll understand if I say I'm rather sceptical.

Thanks for the information regarding the manufacture date.

Jim

Sponsored Links
I'm amazed that your insurance company wouldn't want proof that the work had been completed by a competent (as in qualified) person for a start especially if the boat was damaged/destroyed via a gas leak. I'm also surprised that there are no regs that "prevent" you carrying out gas work on boats especially since other boats moored nearby could be affected by an error on your part..

I'm not questioning nor arguing with you, just commenting.

Quote:-nor is it illegal to replace hoses myself on my boat

I may be wrong but doesn't the LPG regs cover caravans and boats,and DIY gas work is illegal? I'm happy to be shot down if that's not the case,but I remember that from somewhere. :?:

The GSIUR does not apply to a privately owned and operated boat.
The GSIUR does apply to hire boats and residential (house) boats.
So if a private boat is outside the scope of the GSIUR is diy gas work against the regs?.
Also the hose spec you posted is for type 1 low pressure hose, All gas hoses on boats must be to BS3212 type 2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back