LPG or OIL

Sponsored Links
so in what way is oil superior other than slightly cheaper price of fuel?

so in what way is oil superior other than slightly cheaper price of fuel?

I haven't claimed (on this thread anyway), oil is superior, but I suppose for starters it is better in than any flue leaks cause a real stink, so carbon monoxide poisoning would be much less likely than with lpg. Except if the user has no sense of smell. Another thing is fuel leaks stink, so would be more noticable, and it doesn't give rise to explosive concentrations.

do you think an OFTEC comparison is unbiased?

No.

I am a Calor approved installer, so should be promoting Lpg.

Have attended several presentations held by calor and shell,

During one of Shells presentation an installer pointed out that oil heating was cheaper to run than Lpg. Shells reply confirmed that, but requested that installers promote Lpg as a more versatile fuel.
Versatile as in fuel for, cookers, fires, barbecues and heating boilers.

We have several times removed Lpg boilers and replaced with oil boilers and new oil tank. The feed back from customers have all been on the positive side.

We service oil boilers that are well over 20 years old and getting efficiencys % in the high 80's with some in the 90's.

As for reliability I find we have less breakdown calls on oil boilers than we do on gas boilers. The faults on oil boilers are a lot easier to diagnose and cheaper to repair.

As I said earlier as a short term measure I would advice customer to have an Lpg boiler, only because of installation cost. Long term I would always recommend oil boilers.

Customers don't realise that there is an annual standing charge on bulk tanks, and the 47Kg bottles are now £50.63 plus an initial charge of £29.00 per bottle .

Sponsored Links
do you think an OFTEC comparison is unbiased?

No.

I am a Calor approved installer, so should be promoting Lpg.

Have attended several presentations held by calor and shell,

During one of Shells presentation an installer pointed out that oil heating was cheaper to run than Lpg. Shells reply confirmed that, but requested that installers promote Lpg as a more versatile fuel.
Versatile as in fuel for, cookers, fires, barbecues and heating boilers.

We have several times removed Lpg boilers and replaced with oil boilers and new oil tank. The feed back from customers have all been on the positive side.

We service oil boilers that are well over 20 years old and getting efficiencys % in the high 80's with some in the 90's.

As for reliability I find we have less breakdown calls on oil boilers than we do on gas boilers. The faults on oil boilers are a lot easier to diagnose and cheaper to repair.

As I said earlier as a short term measure I would advice customer to have an Lpg boiler, only because of installation cost. Long term I would always recommend oil boilers.

Customers don't realise that there is an annual standing charge on bulk tanks, and the 47Kg bottles are now £50.63 plus an initial charge of £29.00 per bottle .

I see your point but what would you rather service/maintain? Gimme LPG anyday.

The guys already got oil boiler& tank.

The best way to save money is to not spend it!!
That doesn't apply here, because he'll be spending money on oil, so a cheaper fuel would subsidise the capital cost of replacing the oil boiler with a gas one.

If the saving was at a high enough rate then it would entirely pay for the replacement within the lifetime of the new boiler, and if the saving was higher still then it would make keeping the existing boiler more costly than replacing it.

Small wood pellet / chip / log boiler??

Just top it up yourself and connect to existing system... no oil or lpg required... go green and save money plus puts more on house when you sell it in a few years.

Cost will be much less than oil and lpg... although most on here would try and talk you out of it as they may be unfamiliar with this system perhaps??

Pellet or chip boilers are relatively expensive, and have lots of moving parts which need maintenance, and the fuel needs a fair bit of processing. Log boilers need only raw fuel, easy to get, but are much more expensive than oil boilers. They would be a long term investment, but at least they have a payback period, unlike solar heating which effectively never pays for itself. A log burner is low cost, and minimal maintence. Don't be tempted to run a common log burner to heat water (except by kettle on the top), the efficiency drops off alarmingly.

It's not a matter of talking people out of it, I have talked people out of fitting oil systems in the recent past.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back