LPG or OIL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to move into the coutryside, the property i'm moving to has an oil fired boiler. It's an old boiler and system which will need to have various things upgraged etc. The flue will probably have to be moved due to future building works, this makes me think about installing a new HE boiler. I would like to install a wall mounted boiler, (i know that most oil boilers are floor mounted and large) so would like to put it up on the wall. I need to know if LPG or OIL is going to suit me. Pro and con's for each would be great and also the, BIG ONE, which is cheaper?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Personally I prefer LPG and my reasons are;
oil prices vary and are rising faster than lpg
oil tanks are prone to theft (recent murder over bungled theft)
lpg boilers are cheaper, quieter, cleaner (less emissions/odours and no soot) , more efficent,easier to control and lower maintenance.
an lpg boiler can be converted to NG if you are later added to the Ngrid
lpg can be tank or bottle fed so more flexible siting (no contamination)
you want a wall mounted boiler? more choice with LPG and boilers are smaller in size (can easily fit in kitchen cupboard)
LPG can also power a gas hob if you like
there are many, many more reasons why lpg is better. . . .

Sponsored Links
any clues on which has the cheaper fuel/running costs? Monthly costs etc as a guide would be helpful.

i would like solar, but not sure i'm staying there v. long, probably only a few years. so won't benefit.

any clues on which has the cheaper fuel/running costs? Monthly costs etc as a guide would be helpful.

try calor gas website or give them a call and also try your local oil company.

but not sure i'm staying there v. long, probably only a few years. so won't benefit.

If thats the case then go for Lpg, its a cheaper kit to install.

If you are staying long term then have an oil kit installed.

You might be supprised how cheap it would be to bring the oil boiler up to scratch.

the property i'm moving to has an oil fired boiler.

The guys already got oil boiler& tank.

The best way to save money is to not spend it!!

If your only living there a few years then I suggest sticking with what you got.

lpg boilers are cheaper, cleaner, more efficent,easier to control and lower maintenance.
. . .

More efficient? Please tell me more.

Sedbuk rating. lpg is alot more controlable with modulating controls and weather compensation increase it's ease to match system requirements and remain at condensing temperatures for longer. Also uses less electricity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back