LPR 601 dishwasher wires breaking where door hinges.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Prima LPR 601 dishwasher which is about 4 years old and built into the kitchen units. Three repairs have been done by Whirlpool contractors, the last one being to repair a broken wire where they are flexing when the door opens. The same fault occurred a couple of days ago with the same 6 flashes and crunching noises when the door was opened. I removed the wooden door front and sure enough the wire has broken again. It looks as if the repair, done with a crimped connector, has been crunching away at the plastic guards that protects the wires from flexing and also pulled off the repaired joint, there also appears to be a broken earth wire. Can anyone advise a repair I could do myself to do it properly and which panels it is safe to remove to get access to the wires, as they appear to have non-standard screw heads. I am loath to use the official contractors again as to say the job was bodged is probably being over generous.
Yours hopefully.

Sponsored Links
When this starts happening I usually renew all the wires in that area as they have all been subject to the same number of strain cycles. Typically there will be about 9 wires stuck to some plastic sheet to make a ribbon cable. You can use duct tape in the same way on your new loom. I normally solder the new pieces in but you can use crimp or "chocolate block" connectors if preferred. The panels are normally fixed by torx screws so you will need suitable torx screwdriver bits. Normally you remove the outer metal door panel and the lower front panel below the door. There may be an additional horizontal panel in the door seal area that also needs to come off. Do one wire at a time and cut out a section of wire so the joins are well away from the area where the wire gets bent. Cut your new wire a bit longer than the piece you cut out. If possible, stagger the positions where you cut the wires so the joints don't all end up in a tight bunch. When all the wires are renewed you can lay them out neatly on the duct tape and wrap 2 or 3 layers round to form a new ribbon cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back