LV Lighting - 1 trannie per light, or 1 big one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm about to put LV downlighters into just about every room in the house - mostly 4 or 6 per room

I'm anticipating using a 50w trannie for each light (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTYT50.html)

Is this preferable to using couple of larger ones per room, or does it not make much difference?

Sponsored Links
Chris, whilst I personally think these to be a waste of money (Halogen Dichroic Downlighters that is), if you have your heart set on them, then may I suggest the GU10 type. These are the same physical size as the GU5.3 lamps, but they run at 230V and so do not require a transformer..

The lamps also live that little bit longer in my experience too, and that must be a good thing..

chrisbyrd said:
Hi All

I'm about to put LV downlighters into just about every room in the house - mostly 4 or 6 per room

I'm anticipating using a 50w trannie for each light (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTYT50.html)

Is this preferable to using couple of larger ones per room, or does it not make much difference?

only benefit is if something goes wrong with the large tranny u have to buy new comp - expensive, if you use single £2.50 on ebay?

Sponsored Links
you have to derate the dimmer

i dont like them i am going to change our main kitchen light to 12v ones, like the rest are

I agree with breezer, LV gives a crisper light. Also, have a search around and I think you'll find that standard LV lamps last for around 3000hrs and mains are 1000hrs.

I prefer 1 electronic trany per light because it keeps the LV cabling to a minimum which makes DIY installs easier.

Take into account that it would be easier to maintain the lights if they all have their own smaller tranny. It can be stuffed into the celing next to the light, and if it blows you can access and replace it easy.

Also larger transformers can be quite loud.

Take into account that it would be easier to maintain the lights if they all have their own smaller tranny. It can be stuffed into the celing next to the light, and if it blows you can access and replace it easy.

Also larger transformers can be quite loud.

Also, if you want to add a dimmer switch make sure the trannys are 'dimmable' and you get the correct rated switch. If you don't you may notice a flicker when lights are turned low (doesn't look great if you're trying to get your groove on to a companion ;) ) and may buzz.

I recommend the prewired packs that come with downlighter, and dimmable transformer. You can buy these over any trade counter.

Good luck !

TGS.

TheGaffersSon said:
I recommend the prewired packs that come with downlighter, and dimmable transformer. You can buy these over any trade counter.
Yeah, but dont go to B&Q, and make sure its an electronic ballast. We had 2 sets from B&Q whose tx's were wirewound and the case split open on both of them within 2 years, causing the unit to fail. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back