LV lights cable size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to link 6 LV lights , each with their own transformer. They have 50W bulbs and will be approx 1.3m apart.

I only need to use twin core cable.

Can I use normal 1.5 light twin and earth cable and not connect the earth - or should I use a different cable?

Sponsored Links
You should use normal twin & earth cable, and you should connect the earth at the start of the run to the lighting circuit earth, each subsequent one to the next throughout the length, and safely terminate it at the far end.

This provides useful protection inside the cable if it should get damaged, and allows you, or anyone else, to connect different sorts of lights in the future that may need to be earthed.

Thanks for the reply.

The instructions specifically state to only connect the earth on the first transformer.

So should I keep a continuos earth through out the chain but not earthing the subsequent transformers? If so what should I do with the earth at the last light in the chain?

Sponsored Links
a1topdog said:
Thanks for the reply.

The instructions specifically state to only connect the earth on the first transformer.
That's bizarre - if the first transformer needs earthing then why don't they all do? Unless it's just a dummy terminal to give you somewhere to neatly terminate the earth of an existing lighting cable. If the manufacturer has a helpline you should call it and ask them to explain why only one transformer needs to be earthed.

So should I keep a continuos earth through out the chain but not earthing the subsequent transformers? If so what should I do with the earth at the last light in the chain?
At the end put a piece of choc-block on the earth. Another technique is to sleeve it with a piece of sleeving longer than the wire and bend it in half, but IMHO choc-block is better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back