LV transformer Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to wire up 4 35W LV downlighters, but the 50-150VA transformers I have seen only have 3 output terminals.

Is it OK to parallel up from one lamp to another, or would I be better off using two separate 35-105VA transfomers, with 2 lamps on each?

Sponsored Links
Really? I thought it was beneficial to use a large transformer on multiple lamps. It makes no odds to me for ease of wiring, although 4 separate 20-60VA trannies would be more expensive than 2x35-105 or 1x50-150VA.

Oh and it's in a bathroom, how do I go about notifying building control? Will I have to pay a fee?

I'm an electrical engineer but work on industrial stuff, although I have passed C&G 2381. Does this mean I can do the work but need it to be inspected? I have a friend who is employed as a domestic spark/tester and is under NICEIC, can he test it for me, or does it have to be LBC?

Sponsored Links
Hallsy said:
... 4 separate 20-60VA trannies would be more expensive than 2x35-105 or 1x50-150VA.
The cost difference is negligable.

I suppose, saves losing all the lights at once as well.

Now with the Part P, I never really bothered worrying before, but as we are looking to sell up when finished and many saying that a spark is unlikely to test an installation after work has been done by somebody else, I ofen wonder if I should notify.

If I notify on my bathroom lighting alteration, do they need to then check the whole installation? My understanding is that they should?

What will they want to see? How it is now, then 1st fix, then test once 2nd fix? I really need to crack on with my bathroom and can't **** about waiting for BC to test a simple job at each stage!

Hallsy said:
...I ofen wonder if I should notify.
The law says in what circumstances you must - what's there to wonder about?

If I notify on my bathroom lighting alteration, do they need to then check the whole installation? My understanding is that they should?

What will they want to see? How it is now, then 1st fix, then test once 2nd fix?
They'll want to see what they want to see. Just ask them.

I mean should I worry, just like the majority of the other DIY sparks that post on this board. I have done electrical work in my parents house which is now up for sale with no questions asked.
As the sellers pack seems to have died a death, as long as you work to regs I can't see what bother you would get into by not contacting BC.
How many people knock internal walls down without contacting BC, how many fit windows/doors without getting FENSA to approve it, how many alter bathrooms without contacting BC - plenty, yet you are supposed to.

I know a few house bashers that aren't part of NICEIC, surely they don't contact BC 48hrs before a job, then stop after 1st fix, let BC inspect, then carry on, let BC test, etc - they'd never get anything done!! So how do they go about working if they're not part of the competent persons scheme!?

Hallsy said:
I mean should I worry...
Why worry? Why not just do the right thing? :rolleyes:

As the sellers pack seems to have died a death, as long as you work to regs I can't see what bother you would get into by not contacting BC.
Why are the Wiring Regs, which are not the law, more important to you than the Building Regs, which are? Do you run your life according to what you can do without detection and without "getting into bother", rather than what's correct and legal?

How many people knock internal walls down without contacting BC, how many fit windows/doors without getting FENSA to approve it, how many alter bathrooms without contacting BC - plenty, yet you are supposed to.
So, do you base every action you take, and every decision you make, on what other people do and decide?

I know a few house bashers that aren't part of NICEIC, surely they don't contact BC 48hrs before a job, then stop after 1st fix, let BC inspect, then carry on, let BC test, etc - they'd never get anything done!! So how do they go about working if they're not part of the competent persons scheme!?
Why don't you ask them?

I will be asking them later on when I get to work ;)

What happens if someone who isn't aware of relevant building regs has done work in their home that needed notifying, but hadn't been.

I'm sure I've read on here that BC won't inspect after alterations have been made, so how does one turn back time?

Even if you removed anything that had been added it still won't be the same as it was originally, and even if you did re-install the old stuff you'd be further modifying the circuit again.

This is what I can't get my head around.

I'll phone my local council over the weekend to have a chat I think :)

Hallsy said:
What happens if someone who isn't aware of relevant building regs has done work in their home that needed notifying, but hadn't been.
I can't believe you don't already know the answer: they would have broken the law.

I'm sure I've read on here that BC won't inspect after alterations have been made, so how does one turn back time?
I'm sure you've misinterpreted what you've read, since you're so hell bent on circumventing the rules to suit your own purposes, but as for turning back time you need one of these:

tardis.jpg

Even if you removed anything that had been added it still won't be the same as it was originally, and even if you did re-install the old stuff you'd be further modifying the circuit again.

This is what I can't get my head around.
Er, OK.

I'll phone my local council over the weekend to have a chat I think :)
That's the most sensible idea you've had so far.

Thanks for your helpful comments, I will indeed talk to my LABC.

What are you tried with in court for not applying for building regs if your work is up to std and no-one has been hurt? Just out of interest.

I don't try to evade the law, I'm just trying to understand how people who can't self cert go about doing this for a living.

I know of at least 2 houses since Part P came in that had DIY re-wires done and were signed off/tested by NICEIC sparks without having to see the work all the way through.

Hallsy said:
Thanks for your helpful comments, I will indeed talk to my LABC.

What are you tried with in court for not applying for building regs if your work is up to std and no-one has been hurt?
When you talk to the LABC, I suggest you ask them that question.

I don't try to evade the law...
Really? How do you reconcile that statement with your earlier ones, viz:

Hallsy previously said:
Now with the Part P, I never really bothered worrying before, but as we are looking to sell up when finished and many saying that a spark is unlikely to test an installation after work has been done by somebody else, I ofen wonder if I should notify.

and:

Hallsy previously said:
I have done electrical work in my parents house which is now up for sale with no questions asked.

:?:

I know of at least 2 houses since Part P came in that had DIY re-wires done and were signed off/tested by NICEIC sparks without having to see the work all the way through.
Your point being...?

Fair enough, but work I have done before was not in special locations and so I thought it was non-notifiable.

As I say I am an electrician, but not a domestic spark that has to comply to building regs so I am sketchy with my knowledge of the building regs - I'm sorry that you can no longer obtain advise on this forum without sarcastic comments.

With my qualifications I am more than competent with single phase domestic wiring systems but need to learn more about the building regs side of things.

I am sorry to have asked for some friendly advice.

Hallsy said:
Fair enough, but work I have done before was not in special locations and so I thought it was non-notifiable.

As I say I am an electrician, but not a domestic spark that has to comply to building regs so I am sketchy with my knowledge of the building regs...
This doesn't stack up - if your knowledge of the BRs is sketchy, why would you think that special locations are not notifiable?

And since you're not a domestic electrician, then why did you do domestic electrical work at your parents' house without checking the legislation first?

...I'm sorry that you can no longer obtain advise on this forum without sarcastic comments.
I am sorry to have asked for some friendly advice.
I suggest that if you act like a criminal, you should expect to be treated like one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back