LVT, engineered or wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I need to re-floor my living room and hall and need some help deciding which to go for please...

• 35 sq m total.
  • 2 adults, 1 6 yr old, no pets.
  • Currently carpet on top of 10mm deep 5 finger parquet, this is laid on a thin layer of bitumen onto concrete. Total depth carpet to concrete is approx 25mm.
  • DPM is under the concrete.
  • Concrete is in good condition, parquet is lifting in places.
  • The other floors on the ground floor are level with the carpet.
  • Skirtings are fixed for the parquet.
  • Doors are being replaced as part of the project.
With 25 mm to fill, I'm trying to determine what the most cost effective approach would be for a mid range finish, say Polyflor Camaro and rough equivalents in engineered and solid wood.

Do you guys have any suggestions please?

Simon

Sponsored Links
I’d go with the engineered or maybe quickstep impressive laminate. Any LVT will be a lot of prep work mate but if you go for that I’d pick one with a .55mm wear layer. So not Camaro.

Thanks for the advice mate.

I'll have a look at the Quickstep. if I go down that or the engineered route, how best to build up the surface? I see that some of the fibreboard underlays go up to 7mm, so with a 15mm engineered board and 3mm barrier underlay, that would keep the current floor level. Is that a sensible approach or too much underlay?

Simon

I’m not a fan of thick underlays myself as can give to much movement in the wood when walking onto it.
I use timbermate excel which is 3.5mm thick.
Quickstep do impressive ultra at 12mm which is one of the best laminates on the market. Not cheap though.

I’d give the floor a 3mm coat of Ardex NA over the old bitumin adhesive if it’s a bit rough

Sponsored Links
Thanks, really appreciate the guidance. I've found a local supplier doing an oiled oak 20mm (6mm wear) for a decent price- add a 3.5mm underlay and the levels are pretty much bang on. Anything I need to watch out for?

Simon

I’d go with the engineered or maybe quickstep impressive laminate. Any LVT will be a lot of prep work mate but if you go for that I’d pick one with a .55mm wear layer. So not Camaro.

Would LVT, the click together stuff be suitable for a summer house? (5m x 4m, insulated)

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Westco-Caspian-Grey-Oak-Luxury-Vinyl-Flooring/p/141396

The floor construction is 18mm plywood over timber joists.

One of the reviews says the floor tiles curled up in the sun, so it makes me think it wont be suitable. Perhaps id better go for a laminate instead.

Doesn't matter how manufacturers and suppliers of LVT dress it up - in the end it's just overpriced crap plastic made to look like wood or stone.

If you want wood - get wood, or at least laminate.
If you want stone - get stone.
If you want crap plastic, buy it off the roll in a single piece. At least that is waterproof.

Lamainte better then LVT, behave!!!

Modern LVT now is amazing. Some look as good as real wood and less to maintain.

Lamainte better then LVT, behave!!!

Modern LVT now is amazing. Some look as good as real wood and less to maintain.

Can the click type LVT be laid as a floating floor and remain flat? -the room is going to be like an orangery with a lantern so will get sunlight and therefore quite warm in the summer.

It will be laid on plywood with sanded joints.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back