Can I put engineered wood over a glued to concrete wood subfloor?

Reaction score
Country
United States
After spending weeks in an intensive search for the right laminate I find I can't use it with my wood glued to concrete subfloor. Also can't use vinyl planks. Karhs told me I can use their wood over it but another company said no to engineered wood too. Really dislike parquet which is what my subfloor is. Isn't engineered wood except for the top layer like laminate? Is there ANYTHING that looks stylish I can put over this parquet besides carpet? Too much $$$ to take it all up. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You can float engineered or laminate over the top, however, if the parguet does lift at some point, the installation will be compromised as a result.

The correct process would be to lift the parquet, screed the floor with a high quality screed such as Arditex NA or scrabble the floor and put a regular screed down, then fit whatever you like over the top.

Thanks, but the installation instructions of every laminate I wanted to use say it's not to be installed over wood glued to concrete. If I did so, I would have no warranty protection. Home Depot and Lowes refuse to install it.

no reason whatsoever you can't float it over parquet, with a suitable underlay, ie not one with a any dpm

Sponsored Links
They say it's a moisture problem with wood glued to concrete. It voids the warranty which is the main problem though when you're spending $6,000+. Karhs said it's OK,but I was concerned as Manningston and Armstrong say not to in their install instructions. There must be a reason they say that.

I can see how laminate could be an issue with moisture trapped between the layers but engineered wood is layers of wood bonded to each other usually ply with a wear surface of solid wood, so should breathe. In the uk parquet is usually glued down with a totally waterproof adhesive(traditionally bitumen) so moisture from the concrete, subfloor shouldn't be an issue. I have laid a couple of floating engineered floors over parquet without a problem.

I can see how laminate could be an issue with moisture trapped between the layers but engineered wood is layers of wood bonded to each other usually ply with a wear surface of solid wood, so should breathe. In the uk parquet is usually glued down with a totally waterproof adhesive(traditionally bitumen) so moisture from the concrete, subfloor shouldn't be an issue. I have laid a couple of floating engineered floors over parquet without a problem.

Thanks. My parquet is glued directly to the cement block in my apt. and it's fine after 45+ years. There must be a reason it voids the warranty. I would float the floor over it.

I would ask the relevant manufacturers directly why, they will have a technical department, I would then read their warranty and see if it is worth anything and then make an assessment as to how likely the scenario they say may occur is likely to happen and weigh that up against how likely/successful any other warranty claim you may need to make is.
Just had a look through the Armstrong stuff and their concern seems to be inherent moisture in the concrete slab, well after 45 years that isn't going to be an issue, particularly since your parquet is probably stuck down with bitumen also laminate is far less affected by the vagaries of changes in relative humidity.
Personally I would have no qualms about laying over sound parquet but I guess the choice is yours really.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back