LX leak repair on lead leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an outside tap which is fed from a lead pipe. This lead pipe is a mains pipe. It recently started leaking via a tiny hole. After reading some previous threads (which suggested to tap it with a hammer as this would seal a tiny hole) i tried this, and it made the hole worse!

Now I have brought some LX leak repair glue. Will this work on a lead pipe and iff so, whats the best way of applying it? Do i apply it directly, or so i apply it to a bit of rubber and use jubilee clips?

Sponsored Links
No it won't. Clamps and things are available which might work, including one which goes hard when it gets wet.

In the days before such things were illegal you would have emptied the pipe of water, cleaned it thoroughly by scraping it. wiped some solder flux over it, heat very carefully and add some ordinary leaded solder over the area, which would have sealed it easily.
Now that would get you £1000 fine.

SO you'll have to go back and use a Lead-Loc or Lead-Line connector, and go from there in copper or plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back