M8 x1.5mm bolt needed... #$@&%*!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't seem to find a M8 1.5mm countersunk bolt needed to fit my front door knob.

Story so far:
The door knob came with a bolt, but at 70mm it is too short.

So I ordered a 100mm bolt off ebay; which was the wrong diameter ! (I ordered M6 when I now think I need M8).

So I ordered an M8, but this has the wrong pitch!! (I ordered a 1.25mm when i now think the I need a 1.5mm)

However, all the M8s I can find have a 1.25mm pitch. Am I mssing something? Any suggestions on where to go for an M8 1.5mm countersunk bolt? (or a threaded bar & dope nut)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
where to go for an M8 1.5mm countersunk bolt

It doesn't exist. M8 coarse is 1.25mm pitch. The only other choices in M8 are fine(1.0mm) or extra fine(0.75mm).

Could be a 5/16 UNC thread. That has 18tpi, which works out as 1.411mm pitch.

Thanks, that is really helpful. I reckon it is more likely to be 1.4.

Is UNC the same as BSW?

Any suggestions where do I get a 100mm/4 inch countersunk 5/16 bolt?

Sponsored Links
If it's made in England, I'd be guessing!
If it's made in China, probably UNC.

Might be cheaper in the long run to just buy a 5/16 UNC nut first to try out on the bolt that came with it, instead of guessing and having to buy even more incompatible bolts!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Have you not got a local bolt shop? Take in the existing bolt/knob.

Why not buy a thread gauge for about £6, or ask in your local engineering workshop if they would gauge it for you.

I can't seem to find a M8 1.5mm countersunk bolt needed to fit my front door knob.

Story so far:
The door knob came with a bolt, but at 70mm it is too short.

So I ordered a 100mm bolt off ebay; which was the wrong diameter ! (I ordered M6 when I now think I need M8).

So I ordered an M8, but this has the wrong pitch!! (I ordered a 1.25mm when i now think the I need a 1.5mm)

However, all the M8s I can find have a 1.25mm pitch. Am I mssing something? Any suggestions on where to go for an M8 1.5mm countersunk bolt? (or a threaded bar & dope nut)

Thanks.
What is the bolt for exactly? Pic?

I got a door knob with a bolt but didn’t use it, I could post a pic of it next to a tape measure. Your welcome to that if it would help?

Mine fitted like this but I had to drill 8 holes in it.
73315BE4-0757-45C1-BC96-43455597C26E.jpeg

7E15E0A0-E930-4F4D-9B55-103BFEE57FA3.jpeg

5524A30B-EF0A-42EE-A74E-FBAB29E9725B.jpeg

This is a pic of the bolt. The bolt goes through the front door from rear to secure a large door knob on the front. (Similar in look to Ian's, but with a different fixing). There is a decorative cap that covers the head.

IMG_3454.jpg IMG_3456.jpg IMG_3457.jpg

Ach zo! Ze Whitworth thread has rounded crests whereas the Unified thread has flattened crests......anyone's guess!
John :)

Thanks. The manufacturer has confirmed it is a BSW 516.

So I now need to track down a 4" BSW 516 Countersunk bolt...

[Of course I ordered an UNC dome nut yesterday.... which I can add to be unwanted list with the M6 bolt and the M8 bolt]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back