macbook pro electrocuting me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Today as it was nice weather i was wearing a tshirt, as i used my macbook pro i was getting these very slight but extremely sharp sort of pricks on my

After rubbing my finger along the edge i couldnt feel anything

so i got my multimeter out and surprise surprise i had readings of up to 10 volts. This only happens when I have it on charge, i have googled it and seen a couple of other cases.

Im assuming this is unacceptable cannot be right?

cheers

Sponsored Links
I have had the same thing with my MacBook pro.

If you're using it while charging use the cable connected to the power adaptor, rather than the little snap on plug that lets you plug the power brick straight into the wall.

It seems the cable provides a connection to the earth while the snap on plug doesn't!

I am not sure why there is a voltage on the surface of the machine though it's pretty unacceptable in my opinion anyway.

Also, if you're using the computer on the continent make sure you are using a full schuko plug, not just a simple 2-pin one. The larger round plugs with the metal strips on the top and bottom are the 3-pin earthed version on the continent.

Having cut and spliced together a magsafe cord I can report that there are only two cables inside. When you earth the power adapter it must use that connection to provide a 0v reference point for the negative terminal to be connected to.

I have experienced significant pain using my Nokia phone whilst charging and standing on a metal floor, the same phone emits sparks when touched against an metal pipe as did my iPod mini with various chargers.

However my aluminium iMac is earthed properly and so then is anything you plug into it, including the keyboard!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back