Macerator advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am thinking of installing a second toilet using a macerator. I am aware of the potential issues with these, but it would be used for 'non-solid' waste only.
Would it be possible to connect the waste from a sink/hand basin on to the outfeed pipe about 2 metres along, or would the pressure in the pipe cause a back flow into the sink?
Or are there one-way valves to allow this.
I have tried researching this but cannot seem to get a clear answer.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don’t think you should do that. Can you empty the sink into the macerator and have just one drain pipe from the macerator going to the drain?

Best to run pipe to the macerator. Do you choice in mind of make n model of the macerator though.

Thanks,
I don't have a particular brand or model in mind at the moment, just figuring out the practicalities.
Owing to the location of the sink and the soil pipe, I'm not able to run the sink waste back to the macerator.

Sponsored Links
Because you say 2m along I guess I am safe thinking there will be no vertical rise in the discharge pipe so by fitting a self closing valve high up under the basin and joining the discharge pipe from above not side on you should be ok as long as discharge pipe is 32mm or larger.

ISTR There is another thread on here from someone that has done what you are suggesting, they get the dirty water coming up into the sink/shower.

Have another look at your ability to run a pipe back to the macerator form the sink.

If you do go for a macerator, choosing one that has a sink/shower input.

ISTR There is another thread on here from someone that has done what you are suggesting, they get the dirty water coming up into the sink/shower.
There is however we never did get as far as discussing the installation.

Can you not run the soil pipe from the loo to under the sink and then put the macerator there?

Thanks for your answers. The waste being forced up into the sink is what I had thought might happen, but I'm not sure how much pressure there is in the outflow from the macerator.
Does anyone know if there is a one-way valve available that allows waste from the sink to flow, but prevents other waste from the macerator flowing back?

No one way valves.

You need to run the sink waste to the macerator.

For this you need a macerator with a toilet connection plus another.

Thanks for your answers. The waste being forced up into the sink is what I had thought might happen, but I'm not sure how much pressure there is in the outflow from the macerator.
Does anyone know if there is a one-way valve available that allows waste from the sink to flow, but prevents other waste from the macerator flowing back?
Around 12psi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back