Macerator discharge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm remodelling the downstairs layout of my house. This includes knocking through a utility room to form a bigger kitchen diner and relocating the utility room.

I intend to add a toilet with a macerator in the utility room.

In terms of discharge from the macerator I guess it would be normal to use a strap on connector to the soil stack. Given the layout of the house this is not very practical, but I do have an old washing machine waste pipe available which could be re purposed. Is this allowed under the regs?

Sponsored Links
As long as the washing machine waste is running to a foul water soil stack - which it should be - then no issue with using that.

Just remember to use the correct size adapter so the pipe work from the macerator is properly sealed to the larger washing machine waste pipe.

Is this allowed under the regs?
Take advice from the Building Control Officer, the advice is free,

Even if it is allowed then consider the effect of a blockage, the positive displacement pump in the macerator and a weak joint between pump and the blockage.

If it is the only toilet then it CANNOT be used with a mascerator.

Thanks.

The upstairs toilet will still connect directly to the stack.

I guess if I reuse the old washing machine waste pipe (with suitable connector) then I still need building control to inspect the new toilet installation?

Sponsored Links
You are aware of the limitations with macerators, and the unpleasant consequences when, (not if), they go wrong I presume...

Is there no option for a 4" soil run from the new WC position before you go down the macerator route?

Are you even aware that new toilets need Building Regulations approval?

Normally done in advance with drawings and a fee ?

Tony

Er.... no!

Drawings and a fee to get approval.

Then normally an inspection when completed to make sure its fitted in accordance with the approved drawings!

Jobs for the boys!

Trouble is that many cowboy builders and DIYers dont do them correctly.

So the councils need to control them and they of course see that as an opportunity to charge!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back