Macerator on en-suite toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of buying a house, and I have noticed that there is a macerator for the loo in the en-suite of the main bedroom. This seems to be connected to a surface water drain pipe rather than a soil pipe.

I'm assuming this is probably illegal, but just wanted to check with some people who might know for sure!

Sponsored Links
it is illegal

macerators are revolting anyway.

I would check for definate with a dye test or similar, a cross connection is illegal, and the Water Authority can insist it is put right at the property owners expense. If you are intending purchasing then maybe time to negotiate a discount to take into account cost of putting matters right.... W.C. would need connecting to the foul sewer, ideally with 4" pipe rather than a macerator..... ;)

At best, if it is connected to a storm drain, the contents of the W.C. may have found their way into a watercourse, at worst if the drain goes to a soakaway then I wouldnt want to be digging it up..... :eek:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I will just probably get rid of it to be honest....installing a 4" waste pipe from where it is would be quite awkward, and aesthetically, the wife might not like it!

Sponsored Links
I run a B&B & have a saniflo system for the en suite. It's been in since 2002. It had to be taken apart once because a lassie threw her sanitary towel down it!! Nightmare. & yes, it was revolting! However, since then we've told people about it as well as putting a sign on the cistern & have had zero problems since.
We set the pump on polystyrene & rockwool to insulate the noise, which, I think, is mostly caused through vibration.
Would I have another one?
A resounding yes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back