Macerator

G

Gazzza

Does anyone have any experience of macerator's ?

I want to install a toilet and sink under the stairs but its the wrong side of the house for the waste, so I'm considering using a macerator to pump the waste up to the first floor, across the house under the first floor floorboards, and out into the waste stack on the other side.

Has anyone any views or advice on this ?
Anyone any experience with such macerators - in terms of ease of installation and use - noise etc, or risk of the waste pipe leaking ?

Thanks for any info.

- G

Sponsored Links
Is the stairs on the outside wall or near ? and do you have concrete flooring ?

Yes - the stairs run up along an external wall down the left side of the house.
The toilet upstairs, and hence the waste pipe I'd need to pump across to is on the right hand external wall of the house.

The ground floor is concrete, but I don't want to channel the pipe work under this as i'd have a to lift an old parquet floor in the hall that I want to keep, and also run under the kitchen floor which was completely re-tiled last year.

I've repaired one after it became blocked. The problem seemed to be the length of the pipe run. This one went up vertically for about 3m (the max allowed with this model) and then a torturous journey accross a loft space. My advice wouls be to limit the vertical run if you can and keep the horizontal run as "steep" as you can. ie ensure a fall of as much as you can. If you can the other rule is not to put anything down them unless you have eaten it! I stress this was just one experience and the actual machine seems to work well and is easy to maintain
Hope that helps

Sponsored Links
I know this is an old thread but I was trying to find some info on macerators

My plumber suggested this as an alternative to digging a trench in my concrete floor to reach an a new en suite I am currently building which is located on the ground floor in the centre of the bungalow

I assumed this would be a stand alone unit ( my wife has already bought the new toilet ) but looking at Breezers link, they seem to be part of the toilet pan

Anyone have any experience of this ?

they are separatte, its a sales ploy to show how discreet they are, I wouldnt have one if you paid me though, would you want to open it when it goes wrong knowing what is inside it?

one lump or two?

sugar in tea i was refering to

Wrong. There IS a Saniflo model which is in effect part of WC pan / cistern assembly.

Generally, macerators work as advertised. People don't! They put things down them that should not be put down, the thing blocks and then you have a messy experience. The key point is that if the pipe goes UP above the machine and you get a blockage you then have to release and dispose of (somehow!) whatever happens to be in the pipe before you can open up the box to clear the blockage. Yukk.

Also, there's the noise factor. Not loud but always there when the unit operates.

sorry, i didnt mean they were ALL sepearate, as there is one that is described as "a cisternless toilet" and that one is "built in / on"

But all the ones i have seen (and "tested") have had the pan "plugged in"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back