Strange behaviour of macerator toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son bought this house with a Sanitop/BroyPro macerator toilet the previous owner had installed as a downstairs WC. The toilet appears to work ok to start with then there is water coming up the adjacent wash basin. On the flushing, the cistern empties and the macerator pump runs normally. The cistern fills with water and then there is a wooshing sound and water squirts up the sink waste pipe into the sink. We keep a plug in the sink to keep it from squirting up from the sink plug hole.
The waste pipe has quite a long horizontal run into the stack at the back of the house.
Any ideas what causes this pressure wave ?

Sponsored Links
Incorrectly installed, basin waste is connected to the same waste pipe as the macerator.
Correct option is to have both the basin and toilet connected to the macerator, with the outlet from the macerator going directly to the stack.

+1, not unheard of for people to connect an adjacent appliance to the (pumped) outlet from the Macerator. There is a tale of one Property with such a setup, who kept a sandbag in the basin to prevent the plug from blowing out under the pressure from the macerator!

Tee where basin joins the macerator outlet run needs cutting out and and replacing with a straight run, (solvent welded pipework is a must!), then connect basin waste to inlet side of macerator.

The fact that there is a long delay before you hear the whooshing and see the water enter the basin leaves me think that the discharge pipe isnt totally clear.

Sponsored Links
Incorrectly installed, basin waste is connected to the same waste pipe as the macerator.
Correct option is to have both the basin and toilet connected to the macerator, with the outlet from the macerator going directly to the stack.
Whilst I fully onderstand where you are coming from guys the Sanitop doesnt have a low down side connection for the basin waste being a w/c only unit, and the basin can be connected to the outlet pipe but certain restrictions to the installation do apply.

I might be wrong, but...

How does a mechanical device have a "behaviour"?

Sorry. Couldn't help it. Just sayin'!

:)

Edit: "Action" not "behaviour"!
:cool:

Last edited:
Finally got a photo - looks like there may be a spare port to connect the sink ? The one in the background next to the Flexi ?

Yep, slice the top 3mm off it and use a soft rubber connector. TBH I had forgotten about that connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back