Mag filter on flow on combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just been flushing my system and doing a chemical clean, and only just noticed the magnetic filter is on the CH flow pipe - not the return! Which means all the **** goes through the boiler before being filtered.

In addition, there is a radiator t'd off flow and return "before" the filter so bypasses it altogether.

And the mag filter is likely to have been installed with the boiler by a Corgi plumber in 2002. May explain why the boiler eats heat exchangers. And I've been here 6 years and only just noticed. Is it a big an issue as I think to warrant a new filter on the return? (Access to the return pipe is a RPITA which maybe why its on the flow).

Or, will it be OK as is and just accept a new HE is needed every 5+ years

(Boiler is 16yo, so may be close to EOL so maybe just deal when boiler is replaced?)

Sponsored Links
The filter didn't get everything first time anyway .

Not ideal but if be more worried about the extra heat
Thanks.

Its a large towel radiator we use for clothes drying.
This *appears* to be DIY or "poor builder" install rather than original, literally the other side of the wall of the boiler, so they just tapped off flow/return at convenient points. As shaggy says, "wasn't me!"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back