magic HD

B

breezer

just booted pc (well its my fault for having it sitting on the floor) anyway after it came on it lost my master drive, (IDE ch2 ) but not the cd which is the slave

after 3rd reboot (just switched it off and on again 3 times) it re appeared.

the bios also said it was not there on 2nd re boot, but as i said it is on 3rd reeboot never seen this one before any suggestions / reasons why ?

Sponsored Links
Loose cable?, faulty IDE controller on the HD? Failing motherboard? Could be any or all of the above. Easiest to check the cables first.

thats what i wondered, but the thing that gets me is they are all secure (i never really booted the pc you understand) but as i mentioned on 3rd switch on it reappeared.

mobo is only 2 years old

i was also wondering if any one else had seen this happen before

I would initially suspect that the drive is becoming unreliable, but would need to test it further. Another possibility would be the PSU. I encountered a very strange situation with a PSU which would destroy any hard drive attached to it, although the system would otherwise power up normally and all other peripherals worked ok.

Sponsored Links
thanks, bad new is hd is about 2 mths old, althouigh psu is some what older.

thank you everybody, perhaps i will kick it next time

Hard drives tend to have long warranties, although the data is generally irreplaceable. Just keep a backup of your important stuff

Technology is always great, until it f**ks up. :LOL: :LOL: . I use USB memory sticks these days, but have managed to knacker one. Data is very safe, just locked inside... :D

hmmmmm..(breezer stokes chin, thoughtful look) no moving parts either, i have worn out one zip disc, Igorian which do you recomend 128 or 256 is fine

a long shot, but you say the hd is only 2months old, did you set the jumper pins up right?

breezer said:
hmmmmm..(breezer stokes chin, thoughtful look) no moving parts either, i have worn out one zip disc, Igorian which do you recomend 128 or 256 is fine

Are you talking mem sticks Breezer? I use neither of those, but have a couple of 2GB sticks. Much more useful :cool:

crafty1289, yes, I guess it must have been a "glitch" seeing i i never did anything either before or after to cause loss of hd, as mentioned, one day it was there, later it wasnt, 3 on / off's later (in succession) it was back

too be honest i am not sure, whci do you use and whats the difference (i thought they were the same, but evidentaly not

at that price i will get 2 or 3 :)

reason being i dont want all my eggs in one basket, if you see what i mean

EGAD :!: i found it ( i hate to admit it, but it was a dodgy power connection to the hd, one in hd ok, but this was connected to an "extension" it was this that was loose :eek:

dont you hate it, its always the simple things that catch you out

Sponsored Links
Back