Magic white paint mixing brands reaction yellowing nightmare - pls advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm decorating my living room, have put up a picture rail and painted the first coat above the picture rail with some Wickes Pink to White paint I had leftover from painting my bedroom ceiling.

The first coat looked fine but I needed to do a second coat but had run out that paint, so I went to Homebase and as the Pink to white stuff is double the price I brought some normal Crown Brilliant white 5L (which was on offer that made it £5 a pot) Big Mistake!!

The paint went on a darkish purple colour because the pink to white underneath got wet, but when it dried it had obviously reacted and instead of being Brilliant white is now a light buttercup yellow!

I tried doing another coat of Crown white but it still looks yelloish.
So I tried buying some Dulux White and doing a coat of that but it is still reacting with the Pink to white to turn Yellow!

The Cutting in in this pic is the Pink to white underneath and looks alot more white.

is there something I can do to seal it off?
or do I need to sand off the entire room? :(
or if i by one more tin of (expensive) Pink to white will it then cover the yellow ok?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Attachments

• Yellow paint 1.jpg
    Yellow paint 1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 537
  • Yellow paint2.jpg
    Yellow paint2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 438
Sponsored Links
Use a stain block paint, lots around my favourite is Zinsser Bullseye 123. Most advise two coats, often the stain will bleed through the first coat but is then "locked in" and the next coat covers.

Thanks,
I will give a Zinsser stain blocker ago.
Although it is not going to be cheap as I have about 30m² x 2 coats to cover (£80+ of sealer)
I will try it on a smaller area first before I buy a load of tins.

I have some heavy brown water stains coming though the ceiling from a recent water leak, is it best to use the oil based ZINSSER instead of the water based 123 produced for heavy water stains?

Sponsored Links
123 is quite good for water but BIN or 123 plus are better for water stains.
A lot of Zinsser products are interchangeable to some extent, good site here that gives a guide and worth ordering the free booklet too.

http://www.zinsseruk.com/how-to-guide/

I would use BIN for heavy water stains and either of the 123 products for the "pink" issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back