Magnaclean install space issue…options?

AMW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking to install a Magnaclean Pro 2 filter on my system, seems like a good idea with 10mm Microbore pipes!
Anyway before I pull the trigger I’m struggling to see where I could install it, I think I’ve ruled myself out DIY’ing this job now but would a plumber be able to fit it in the example below….

Above the boiler I’ve got not a lot of space on the return pipe to the roof (I believe the pipe on the right), it’s about 34cm but the pipe has a few bends as well rather than being straight.
9BD01BFC-8D70-47D4-B51C-6F1FE116DFC9.jpeg
Is there anyway to install it with some modifications or will there just not be room to service it easily?

In the airing cupboard with the rest of the pipe work it doesn’t seem much better, not even sure the return pipe runs through here…
4119B5A3-5C03-4E06-9EAF-EB7A4390A4FB.jpeg
76EAD9FD-08B7-492D-AA2A-9AE9BEB79F9D.jpeg
I could really do with a filter but is it going to be possible without putting it on a flow pipe which I don’t really want to do.

Also slightly unrelated question…but what kind of setting on the boiler flow temp would be good on my WB Greenstar 24ri? Not sure if I’ve got it too high or too low at the moment but not much to go on right now to decide. I have had it on max a few times but I doubt that’s particularly efficient! Currently set as below. House with 15 radiators 3 towel rails.
CE1C40E5-0801-4C6D-B9F6-40815057C86C.jpeg

Cheers for any help at all!

Sponsored Links
Yup .... around 50mm of a difference in the actual filter height but the pipe connections to the back are much tighter, so it's easier to install into tight pipework and still allow enough to play with.

Sponsored Links
Could you put a fresh piece of pipe in there - doing away with the compression fitting and maybe putting the bend either nearer to the ceiling or the boiler, leaving you with a longer section of straight pipe to work with?

• Thanks
Reactions: AMW
The micro are shyte and have a reputation of popping off the fittings and people having to use cable ties to keep them on .
What makes you think you need a filter and there is nothing wrong with putting them on the flow i

• Thanks
Reactions: AMW
Cheers all, yes I think all in all I'd rather stick with the Pro2 if I possibly can.

Could you put a fresh piece of pipe in there - doing away with the compression fitting and maybe putting the bend either nearer to the ceiling or the boiler, leaving you with a longer section of straight pipe to work with?

Yup I was thinking that might be the only way. Hopefully can find a plumber to do it, guess it's fairly straightforward for someone competant!

The micro are shyte and have a reputation of popping off the fittings and people having to use cable ties to keep them on .
What makes you think you need a filter and there is nothing wrong with putting them on the flow i

Well I've had a plumber out recently to try and sort out some proper annoying issue with radiators not getting hot. Mix or balancing / chasing air around the system, proper pain in the ass. Got all working now apart from 3 radiators which one is cold other 2 lukewarm. Sure it's air but not sure how so much is in there, though deffo need an inhibitor top up after a drain out recently. In short, I'll be in the house for a bit and with a fairly new WB boiler and microbore piping, I'm thinking a filter is a relatively small outlay for piece of mind and to counter any blockages.

Installed a few Micro 2's where space has been an issue ... never had an issue with them .... must just be lucky .... In fact probably had more leaky seal issues with the Pro2's than with the Micro's ... go figure

@AMW with a little fancy re-pipe there should be enough space to get a Pro to fit

Installed a few Micro 2's where space has been an issue ... never had an issue with them .... must just be lucky .... In fact probably had more leaky seal issues with the Pro2's than with the Micro's ... go figure

@AMW with a little fancy re-pipe there should be enough space to get a Pro to fit
Baxi supplied them with the 800 series and had loads of complaints on their facebook page about them pushing off . Done a couple and they did move a bit dont trust them

Done a couple and they did move a bit dont trust them
Yeah .. I know what you mean, I think with the release bracket being part of it, the push fits feel a little 'on the edge of the ends' & can feel a bit 'shoogley'. I yank hard on the filter to bed the grab ring into the brass and luckily haven't had any issues "so far"

I have had one client who played about with the locking pin and managed to pull one side off but that was because they were one of those people that couldn't leave things well alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back