Magnaclean or Fernox TF1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have new central heating system fitted and was wondering what people on here think is the better of the two, either the Magnaclean or the Fernox TF1.

I work for a plumbers merchants, so know about the products, but I just wanted the general opinion of others, as I know they both do the same thing and it could be down to personal choice, but do people think one is better than the other and for what reason.

Sponsored Links
never clapped eyes on a TF1 but i would go for that simply because it's not a magnaclean.

fitted lots of magnacleans but hear bad things about them on hear ,touchwood haven't experienced anything bad yet but have started to fit TF1s as they come free with alphas ,first one i fitted leaked from the drain valve and had to remove and remake it on even though it states you shouldn't.

Other than that one they seem good ,spirovent magna2 are nice to fit but just have my doubts over how much use the magnetic part of it really is as it seems so much smaller than the other types

Sponsored Links
TF1 easy. The main advantage of it is its easy to clean without the need to touch the valves or break any seals. Magnacleans leak from the 2 places you have to disturb to clean it, the valves and the lid seal.
Fitted quite a few tf1s no issues so far. never fitted a maganclean but taken quite a few leaking ones out.

In the end I fitted a TF1 but would have fitted a spirowotsit if the 28mm version had been available at the time. TF1 is a bit naff if you use the two of four orientations that require the extra O rings. Mine is nice and tight but not quite vertical now to get a tight seal.

The TF1 on the counter at my plumb center has been filled with mucky water to demonstrate how good they are.... I frequently give it a shake because despite the lid being fastened on tightly it leaks.

Just like a Magnaclean it is plastic and it will leak sooner or later... Spirovent all the way.... And don't even think about one of those awful Boiler buddies, got one on the van that I fitted three years ago, the plastic body has cracked and was leaking...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back