MagnaClean: problem replacing top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having great difficulty replacing the top on a MagnaClean cannister. It required enormous effort with the spanner to remove it. The thread is not crossed. There is no way that it can be hand-tightened (as it says in the instructions). What can you recommend? I have tried silicon spray.

Sponsored Links
what do you mean by replacing? just putting the original back on or putting a newer top on?

the threads were faulty on certain early MC's, this led to some of them literally blowing their top. never heard of them being difficult to put back on but the paperwork on the rework kit for the faulty ones says not to mix and match as the threads are specific for the body.

find the number on your MC and ill check if its a dodgy one.

Sponsored Links
Is the magnetic bar perpendicular to the lid? I did a post a long while back where one had rusted the bar in such a way that it forced the lid off.

Just found another dodgy one we fitted just 11 months ago, valves failed. I am through with Magnaclean, never fitting another.

Their idea of warranty is to give you another one. It drains the system down, refills with inhibitor and installs itself, apparently. :cry:

Back to Spirovent, we've never had an issue with one.

There is an issue with all of them, still gettng brand new ones with the supposed good serial number leaking.

Water out, if you want to check if its sucking air in just release the bleed screw on the top.

my old mum has a Magnaclean, about 2 years old. I noticed the cap was not screwing in smoothly any more, it sort of felt like the threads were rough not smooth, and it dripped if not done up tight enough. I put a bit of silicone grease on the threads and now it goes on and off easily and does not drip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back