magnaflow vs fernox vs brass thing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a combi fitted and think I should have one of these things as well, the gas board fitted a brass thing on my mate's install, but which one is the best?

Sponsored Links
think what you mean is ...
magnaclean vs fernox TF1 vs Spirotech magnabooster

you'll get alot of different opinions probably, but my personal view is...

magnaclean is most effective, spirotech is the best build quality and the TF1 is somewhere in the middle.

I like the Magnaclean as it has a large magnet and grabs alot of magnetite. The TFI grabs alot of magnetite too but also appears to retain bio contaniments too ans is very easy to drain off compare to the Magnaclean. I have no experience of the Spirotech.

Pete

Sponsored Links
As luck would have it (!), I got a call-back today to a Fernox TF1. Installed about a week ago, fine for several days, then developed a major leak yesterday.

The problem was in the cunning arrangement of sealing rings and spacers supplied with the gadget. You fit DIFFERENT colour coded sets according to the arrangement of the unit. For vertical pipework, with downward flow, it CLEARLY states that you should fit the RED spacer and sealing ring. The purpose of the different choices is to make sure the conical pot is tightened firmly onto the adaptor that links it to the piepwork via the isolation valves. Depending on the orientation of the pipes, to get the pot vertical will need a different number of turns of the threaded connection. Different thicknesses of spacer and sealing washer take up the slack.

All right so far.

BUT, as I said, the stupid thing suddenly started leaking! When I got it apart, the cause was obvious. The red sealing ring was distorted inwards, and clearly marked where it had gone across the flange deep inside the joint. There's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that you could see that this had happened without dismantling it. I assembled it 'off the pipes' and was quite careful to do it EXACTLY as per instructions. Given that there was NO leak for 4 or 5 days at normal working pressure, it seems likely that the seal popped out of position LATER, NOT during assembly.

Fernox will be hearing from me on Monday.

As luck would have it (!), I got a call-back today to a Fernox TF1. Installed about a week ago, fine for several days, then developed a major leak yesterday.

The problem was in the cunning arrangement of sealing rings and spacers supplied with the gadget. You're fit DIFFERENT colour coded sets according to the arrangement of the unit. For vertical pipework, with downward flow, it CLEARLY states that you should fit the RED spacer and sealing ring. The purpose of the different choices is to make sure the conical pot is tightened firmly onto the adaptor that links it to the piepwork via the isolation valves. Depending on the orientation of the pipes, to get the pot vertical will need a different number of turns of the threaded connection. Different thicknesses of spacer and sealing washer take up the slack.

All right so far.

BUT, as I said, the stupid thing suddenly started leaking! When I got it apart, the cause was obvious. The red sealing ring was distorted inwards, and clearly marked where it had gone across the flange deep inside the joint. There's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that you could see that this had happened without dismantling it. I assembled it 'off the pipes' and was quite careful to do it EXACTLY as per instructions. Given that there was NO leak for 4 or 5 days at normal working pressure, it seems likely that the seal popped out of position LATER, NOT during assembly.

Fernox will be hearing from me on Monday.

Too much aggro.

Fit the 'brass thing' (Spirotech Magnabooster). Fits to horizontal/vertical or even diagonal pipes, rotate the main body so the drain valve/plug is pointing downwards, quick turn of the valve to purge any air and its job done.

Also guaranteed for 20 years! Bet the others aren't.

Do yourself a favour and Avoid the Magnaleak. It will leak.
Trust me...........it will. :p

Fit the 'brass thing' (Spirotech Magnabooster). Fits to horizontal/vertical or even diagonal pipes, rotate the main body so the drain valve/plug is pointing downwards, quick turn of the valve to purge any air and its job done.

Also guaranteed for 20 years! Bet the others aren't.

The Magnabooster is definitely the best made; all solid brass and virtually indestructible and as you say can be fitted in any orientation. It would be nice to hear of some real world examples of it getting rid of crud.

Thanks everyone for your help, it seems Magnaclean need to bring out a mark 2 version, but for the meantime I'll have the magnabooster cos of the lack of problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back