Fernox TF1 - a better (longer) opening key?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is our Fernox TF1, which was professionally installed for us a good few years ago.

The plastic end cap is also intended to serve as a key for the brass drain valve.

Space is very tight due to the position it's been installed, and the plastic thing is not easy to fit and turn with your fingertips in this tight space. The valve profile looks like it has two round faces and two flat faces. Is this the same as a red stopcock handle?

Can I buy a tool with a longer shaft to make it easier to open/shut?

IMG_5863.jpeg

Sponsored Links
unscrew the part marked in red , then fit it into the valve marked blue, that is how you open the valve

Attachments

• InkedIMG_5863_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_5863_LI.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 78
The drain (ball) valve can be quite tight, you can use a adjustable spanner on the flats to turn it 90 deg far more easily except access is exceptionally tight.

unscrew the part marked in red , then fit it into the valve marked blue, that is how you open the valve
Yes, I know that. I've drained it several times before. It's also important to switch off the CH/HW, close the top and bottom valves, and remove the magnet first, and have something to catch the outflow!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The drain (ball) valve can be quite tight, you can use a adjustable spanner on the flats to turn it 90 deg far more easily except access is exceptionally tight.
Yes, I've managed to get a small Bahco on it before, but it's awkward as the handle is angled to the jaws. l would like to find a better tool. Is it similar to any other plumbing fittings?

Last edited:
Just as a matter of interest, do you find much magnetic and non magnetic particles when you do clean it? since I believe "both magnetic and non-magnetic contaminants from system water and contain safely within the filter before removal".
I recently cleaned out a neighbors magnetic only Ferroli filter, first clean after 6 years and was amazed at the little amount of particles on the plastic shroud, he told me the gas (Vokera Vision 20S) boiler/system rarely if ever requires top up between its yearly service but that the filter isn't cleaned out as part of this service.

Just as a matter of interest, do you find much magnetic and non magnetic particles when you do clean it? since I believe "both magnetic and non-magnetic contaminants from system water and contain safely within the filter before removal".
I recently cleaned out a neighbors magnetic only Ferroli filter, first clean after 6 years and was amazed at the little amount of particles on the plastic shroud, he told me the gas (Vokera Vision 20S) boiler/system rarely if ever requires top up between its yearly service but that the filter isn't cleaned out as part of this service.
On previous emptyings, I've found a small amount of magnetic material amongst the black muck. I would about a quarter of a teaspoon after a year. I think our system is in reasonable shape at the moment but suffered from a minor leak a few years ago which probably diluted the inhibitor over time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back