Central Heating Woes! Fernox and some good advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Very new to this site and have been reading through several articles after searching on Google for information relating to changing a central heating pump and use of inhibitors and the like.

Really impressed with the wealth of knowledge on here so I thought I'd join and jump in!

The heating system in my house probably dates back to the 1960's. I know that the current boiler, a wonderfully rattley and noisy Potterton Netaheat MkII F was installed in 1983/84 as was the Grundfos 15-50 pump which gave up the ghost sometime between April and now.

I have managed to buy a 3 month old 15-60 pump from a plumber mate for £10 so that's great news.

I have also managed to pick his brain on how to drain down and read about this on the internet also.

I ended up improvising tools and bits to drain down the central heating system.

Now I am ready to go the local Plumbers' merchants and buy a few goodies. Firstly, a draincock for the central heating as I cannot find any on any of the radiators and secondly, some Fernox but not without some good advice form you guys please!!!

I have been reading about Fernox Restorer and wondered what to use. The system consists normal bore pipework, steel radiators, one which leaked a few years ago and now remains switched off!

I have 16 double radiators in the house not all are in use or accessible. Some have been taken off for restoration work and not been put back on so I assume they are currently out of the equation for the time being.

I was wondering how much Restorer to use, if any, and how much inhibitor to use. I am assuming that the use of restorers, at least Heavy Duty ones, is not necessarily a good thing as I wouldn't want to open up a 'can of worms'.

Money is tight at the moment hence having to undertake the job myself.

For today though, I am very impressed so far that I have managed to remove the pump and drain the system down but not in that order. Although plumbing is allegedly logical, sometimes it escapes me hence never having really delved into it.

One other thing is that I had to strip down the Potterton EP2001 controller as it started adjusting itself when a lot of water got onto it. That is currently being 'hair-dried' so hopefully no permanent damage.

Before I drained the system down, I turned off the valves either side of the pump but I fear that they are 'passing'. Should I change these or live with them.

Once I have a draincock installed, I would be fairly happy to tinker with anything else that rears its ugly head.

Your professional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Roge

Sponsored Links
My advice is to fit all the rads back and replace the faulty one before you go adding any chemicals.

Be aware that your boiler is old and although they are reliable many parts are not easily available.

Tony

I was wondering how much Restorer to use, if any, and how much inhibitor to use. I am assuming that the use of restorers, at least Heavy Duty ones, is not necessarily a good thing as I wouldn't want to open up a 'can of worms'.

you can't really put to much in unless you go really silly ;)

Before I drained the system down, I turned off the valves either side of the pump but I fear that they are 'passing'. Should I change these or live with them.

change them now

save the ag later :idea:

might be an idea to put a hose on the rads you have off as well

no point in cleaning the system then adding dirty rads ;)

Well guys.. Thanks for the info so far.

For some reason, the valve below the pump started dripping again slowly even though system was drained and valve was shut off.

I was therefore more pre-occupied with getting the new pump on and tightened up to sto pthe leaks so I haven't actually exchanged the valves. I would say that is a job for another day but perhaps I should steer well clear.

I only went and fired it up after bleeding air from all the radiators and a terrible smell begam to permeate the house.

As I had to use a screwdriver and lump hammer to loosen the pump nuts, as whoever originally fitted it never gave much thought to servicing and positioning, I thought perhaps I had caused a gas leak.

I suppose that is highly unlikely.

However, I was operating the boiler without the front cover on thinking that it doesn't seal. Upon closer inspection there is a seal between the front cover and the combustion chamber.

Have I now caused some brain damage through CO poisoning? I am aware you cannot smell CO so I have no idea what the smell was actually caused by. Any ideas?

Regards,

Roger

Sponsored Links
the smell is most likely hydrogen from bleeding the rads :!:

a sure sign of corrosion

Total idiot!

I have just realised that if the front cover isn't on the gas obviously doesn't go where it should - out of the FLUE!

I seem to recall, as my brain is shutting down, that the exhaust is within the front cover casing.

A lucky escape! Good job I didn't put the cover on just before going to bed tonight otherwise this morning would have been my last memory of waking up on earth.

Lesson learnt - make sure everything is together before igniting!

Wisecracks, chastisements, insults now welcomed!

ffs why did you fire the boiler without the cover on

and why did you have the cover off

netaheats rely on the seal so get an rgi in to check it

you have been lucky fella

another reason to know what your dabbling with first

and a neataheat
asleep-045.gif

could well have been your last mistake on earth :eek:

BingoBongo!

You're right to be mad with me.

Why did I have the cover off? Honest answer! I cannot recall.

I put if back on though after switching the boiler off with my head in a cloud of combustion gas. Had to go outside a few times and gulp down fresh air. I realised after I had realised my grave mistake that there is a seal between the back plate and the front cover. Think I might replace that in due course. You guys will probably tell me to leave well alone. As my Dad used to say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Maybe I should get a CO detector and place it high up above the boiler to check for leaks. It is screwed tight shut but the seals look a bit crap.

Am going to call NHS Direct in a tick and see if I should get checked out.

Does anyone know the constituent gases in combustion gases from a Netaheat? CO must be in there somewhere. Headaches gone now.

I think I took the cover off because, after I had drained down the system, the valve to the pump above it was dripping onto the side of the cover and with the cover off it dripped straight into a bucket. I used a hair dryer to dry off the controller and the PCB in the boiler where the water had got in. Of course, in hindsight, I realise I did not need to remove the cover.

I feel such a muppet!

Certainly not a wind up. I wouldn't waste your time or mine.

Just been reading about CO poisoning on the internet and wondering if I should visit hospital. Exposure limits seem to suggest death (12800 ppm) at a certain level and various levels of nausea and dizziness below that level (400 ppm). Just wondering if the damage from CO poisoning is delayed.

I feel OK now (apart from making a couple of mistakes typing and having to go back to change them which is not normal for me).

Boiler appears to be running OK. The real bummer is the old pump now seems to spin OK whereas it would move yesterday.

I will have a plumber mate check boiler over tomorrow. There is no leak so far as I am aware. There's certainly no smell. The cover has been very tightly screwed on - I'm not totally daft. Not sure you'll believe that comment though.

If there was a leak pre-existing to me taking the cover off, it certainly would have manifested itself.

Is there anything I can do to check the sealed perimeter of the boiler? Washing up liquid and water perhaps? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I do not feel like taking the cover off again to do a visual inspection. I've learnt my lesson and cannot be bothered to get the ladders out again.

Certainly not a wind up. I wouldn't waste your time or mine.

Just been reading about CO poisoning on the internet and wondering if I should visit hospital. Exposure limits seem to suggest death (12800 ppm) at a certain level and various levels of nausea and dizziness below that level (400 ppm). Just wondering if the damage from CO poisoning is delayed.

I feel OK now (apart from making a couple of mistakes typing and having to go back to change them which is not normal for me).

Boiler appears to be running OK. The real bummer is the old pump now seems to spin OK whereas it would move yesterday.

I will have a plumber mate check boiler over tomorrow. There is no leak so far as I am aware. There's certainly no smell. The cover has been very tightly screwed on - I'm not totally daft. Not sure you'll believe that comment though.

If there was a leak pre-existing to me taking the cover off, it certainly would have manifested itself.

Is there anything I can do to check the sealed perimeter of the boiler? Washing up liquid and water perhaps? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I do not feel like taking the cover off again to do a visual inspection. I've learnt my lesson and cannot be bothered to get the ladders out again.

you can check but i`d rather not tell you how incase you set the kitchen on fire

i`d much rather an rgi with a telegan checked it over

I think that's good advice! Very good advice!

Is is a criminal offence to take the cover off a boiler without the proper qualifications?

I think that's good advice! Very good advice!

Is is a criminal offence to take the cover off a boiler without the proper qualifications?

the only emergency service that will be attending is an ambulance followed by them with a black estate car and a leather jacket that doesnt fit.

wait till goldberk see`s this post,you`ll be due an internal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back