Magnetic contact on a magnetic door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a bit of advice....

A friend wants their garage alarming. The main garage door is separated into thirds, with 1 third of it being the main door, and 2 thirds another door that cannot be opened without opening the main door. There are no windows, and the garage is only 4 foot deep.

My initial advice was to get some better physical security, as there is only 1 way in and out, however he is insistent on having it alarmed, and doesn't want it on the house alarm. Now the hard part...

The door is magnetic, as is the frame, and because the door is split into thirds, a standard roller shutter contact cannot be used. The door opens outwards. A Dual Tech could be used, but the entry time needs to start when the door is opened, and the pir needs a fair bit of movement for it to trigger.

At the moment, my thoughts are:

1)To put a viper on the door, detecting forced entry, and have a dual tech to start the entry time. (Although this doesn't feel right)

2) Have an external keyswitch for arming and disarming. The PIR activating immediately should anyone break in

Is there anything that can cancel out the magnetic field, and is it reliable?
What would the Pro's do here?

Much Appreciated

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the door is metallic? That won't affect the contact. Like you say physical security is better. They can get in and out before the timer expires.

Use a proximity tag to arm/ disarm.
A contact on the door as "instant" as well as a quad PIR.

Job done.

Joe if the contact is on entry they can still get in and out within the entry time. Hence using "prox" to arm/disarm. Door to be shut when doing either.

Sponsored Links
Use a proximity tag to arm/ disarm.
A contact on the door as "instant" as well as a quad PIR.

Job done.

Joe if the contact is on entry they can still get in and out within the entry time. Hence using "prox" to arm/disarm. Door to be shut when doing either.

Yes I agree - but the flippin cost to cover a 'garage'. :cry:

Really appreciate your suggestions guys, but just to confirm...

From what you are saying, a magnetic contact that is mounted on a magnetic door is OK. When the door is opened, it will still trigger the alarm, even though the reed is mounted on a magnetic surface. The doorframe wont hold the switch shut.

Alarm: So i can quote her for the prox idea, Can you point me in the direction of the best one for the job. I know castle do them (But there expensive), think scanny do that AX10 one, and texecom with the i-prox. Which ones are externally ip rated?

Sorry, one last question, Viper or No Viper?

The door is metal, not magnetic. You need to do physics again.

A Accenta GEN4 can use prox and is cheap.

No viper.

The door is metal, not magnetic. You need to do physics again.
Haha, thanks for the advice!

Went for the Scantronic 9651 with the prox keypad. They liked the idea of seeing the times and dates for activations, and didn't want an LCD keypad above a simple set reader, if I used the ADE gear. Pyronix KX Quad PIR, Door contact and a Texecom Odyssey 5 Compact Sounder also ordered.

Once again, sound advice from a great website and people

Really appreciated guys, Thanks!

I meant for the prox outside, so the door is "instant" if played with.
Think you can still add an external on the 9651 ( would have to check).
If the bell is low you should have used a Oddy 3M as it is metal cased inside the polycarb cover.

Thanks for the thanks, seems a few here think we are here to annoy peeps

:mrgreen:

I meant for the prox outside, so the door is "instant" if played with.
Think you can still add an external on the 9651 ( would have to check).
If the bell is low you should have used a Oddy 3M as it is metal cased inside the polycarb cover.

Thanks for the thanks, seems a few here think we are here to annoy peeps

:mrgreen:

The bell's going nice and high anyway, :D although always willing to take advice on board.

BTW, it's not annoying people, it's called doing the job properly. Security is a serious thing, and something where shortcuts shouldn't be taken. :mrgreen:

Josh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back